QSC GX5 into a 300 watt cab... issues?

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
I just came from Guitar Center to get a "quote" for trade-ins on some equipment... I was taking in a QSC GX5, Line 6 Flextone 300 watt stereo cab and an Alesis SR-16. They low balled me (as expected) on all accounts... but what struck me as strange was they said the Flextone cab had something "wrong" with it... I've never had an issue with that cab whatsoever. They asked if I power the Flextone with the QSC and I said yes. They said that's what the problem was... am I missing something or should I call bullshit?

Here are the GX5 specs

8 ohms / 1 kHz (both channels driven) 500 W
8 ohms / 1 kHz (single channels driven) 600 W
4 ohms / 1 kHz (both channels driven) 700 W
4 ohms / 1 kHz (single channels driven) 850 W

I was driving the cab at 8ohm (as far as I could tell) so that would mean 500watts into a 300 watt cab... I've read in the past that it's better to over power a speaker than to under power it.

As I said, should I call bullshit?

I you're meaning underpowered then yeah you should. I blew up a 8 Ohm wired marshall 1960 with my GX3 and was distorting another one at under half power and was blowing my mates rig away (volume wise and he's got a Boogie 2:90) As I see it the SS power amp is not colouring the sound (as the Axe is doing all that) its just ramping it up.

ESP MM-270 said:
I you're meaning underpowered then yeah you should. I blew up a 8 Ohm wired marshall 1960 with my GX3 and was distorting another one at under half power and was blowing my mates rig away (volume wise and he's got a Boogie 2:90) As I see it the SS power amp is not colouring the sound (as the Axe is doing all that) its just ramping it up.
Thanks for chiming in...

I always wondered if the MB 2:90 or even the Fryette 2/90/2 would be louder than the GX5... but if 2:90 can't even get louder than the GX3 then it's a no brainer...

Technically I'm over powering the the 300 watt cab(s)... I'm just wondering if what the Guitar Center employee (Sheryl, only black lady pro audio sales person, who's been with the company since it was Hermes Music back in the day) was bullshit or not...

Times are hard, everyone gotta make a sale atm........ :(

Edit... Can sorta see the reasoning for getting something like a QSC RMX series because they're 'cleaner' sounding THD wise, but we're splitting hairs now.

Back
Top Bottom