Purchasing fender Strat question for Strat owners plz respond

Absolutely. This is especially crucial with the strat. I'm primarily a strat player, and if the guitar doesn't ring acoustically, it's not going to magically sound better when amplified. I modify pretty much all of my strats, usually starting with the pickups. My main guitar is a late 80s "ultra" model that was built in the custom shop. It originally came equipped with Lace Sensor pickups in a HSS configuration. I never liked them, but the guitar was amazing unplugged, and I knew I could replace the pickups for much better tone. I installed a set of (all single coil) Fralins, and it's the best strat in my collection now.

So I'd recommend playing several guitars and finding the one that feels great and sounds great unplugged. They it plugged in as well. Get a feel for how it replicates what YOU think "classic tone"is. Pickups are a straight-forward replacement option, and a lot of players swap them out.

Locking tuners are pretty handy on a strat, and will contribute to better tuning stability. There are also options for the trem bridge that you might explore down the road. I like the stock 2-point trem on my main guitar, but I also have other strats with the standard 6 screw trems, and they're great. Each of my strats is different, and has its own personality.

+1
I have an 84 MIJ Strat that I bought new for $149, lol. It's my #1 guitar. Acoustically, it's amazing. Did all the mods I mentioned above and it just sounds great! Guitar should be loud and resonate well unplugged. Find one that does and start from there. Many of the Eric Johnson Strats I've played have this quality. Great necks and fretwork too. Find a nice used one and then make it your own with mods.

Sent from my iPhone

+1
Many of the Eric Johnson Strats I've played have this quality. Great necks and fretwork too. Find a nice used one and then make it your own with mods.

Sent from my iPhone
+1 right back at ya! The Eric Johnson strat is a fantastic guitar. Beautiful tone machine. I had one for a few years, but I'm so attached to my black strat that the EJ was just sitting onstage as my backup guitar. I sold it to a buddy who really wanted the guitar, and now it's fulfilling its intended purpose of making great music.

Don't overspend on Strats. You will want to save some money for customizing your new baby.

I finally got a 40th Anniv. model Strat (1994) to where I want it, with these changes:

Doing Strat mods is like getting tattoos - after the first, the rest are easier. :)

You've done your homework sir!!!
post-38597-Austin-Powers-slow-clapping-gi-biry.gif

One more suggestion....
This has been my little secret for a long time and every Strat I've owned in last decade has had this mod.
http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_passive.html

I've used the center detent and the push pull and they are both great. Probably most useable Strat mod I've done. Dials in that very chimey, scooped sound of Mark Knopfler easily. Works best on lower output pickups. I've only used it on SSS guitars, no clue on humbuckers. Neck/Middle sounds awesome with this slightly rolled back. Retains stock sound, especially with push/pull version.

Sent from my iPhone

Truly, get the one that FEELS the best to you and SOUNDS great unplugged. Then, junk the pups and get others. I tried a bunch and went with DiMarzio and get the most amazing and smooth Strat sound I've personally ever heard.

Truly, get the one that FEELS the best to you and SOUNDS great unplugged. Then, junk the pups and get others. I tried a bunch and went with DiMarzio and get the most amazing and smooth Strat sound I've personally ever heard.

Agree! Check out the Road Worn Strats if you like the relic thing, the Eric Johnson we mentioned or the Classic Lacquer series if you can because these are all nitro finished guitars at a reasonable price. The best advice given by far is to find one that feels, plays and sounds great unplugged and this has less to do with price point or country of origin than most people think. The beauty of the Strat is that once you've found "that" guitar, modding it to make it your own is easy.
Let us know what you find and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom