PRS finish clouding question

...I had some discussion with the guy in that video about the clouding when mine happened. My person case pretty much went against everything he said causes the issue. Once the clouding starts, it will continue to get worse....
He says in the video it can/will continue to get worse and even exhibits a guitar he has named "Ghost", which is actually pretty cool once it's progressed that far.

Your PRS that was sent back and refinished, was that done as warranty work? Were you the original owner? Thanks.

I have a '94 Custom 24 in cherry sunburst. I haven't had any issues and I bought it new in 94. It's funny I just saw this after I posted my NGD for my second one I just bought recently. I didn't know there was anything that they had put out publicly until I saw this but I had noticed that the older blue colors really don't look as good as they did when they were new. I kept that in mind as I was looking in the used market.

He says in the video it can/will continue to get worse and even exhibits a guitar he has named "Ghost", which is actually pretty cool once it's progressed that far.

Your PRS that was sent back and refinished, was that done as warranty work? Were you the original owner? Thanks.

I have a '94 Custom 24 in cherry sunburst. I haven't had any issues and I bought it new in 94. It's funny I just saw this after I posted my NGD for my second one I just bought recently. I didn't know there was anything that they had put out publicly until I saw this but I had noticed that the older blue colors really don't look as good as they did when they were new. I kept that in mind as I was looking in the used market.
Your '94 would've predated the ghosting problem which emerged in the late-90s and supposedly it's been fixed as of about 2015.

Yep to clouding - a friend had his Blue Matteo 513 Rosewood refinished for this reason. What can also happen with V12 finishes is that it delaminates from the edge of the rosewood fingerboard - this is what is happening to my DGT. PRS said that in some rare instances the V12 finish just didn't like the oily nature of Rosewood and didn't adhere too well. It's not an issue as of yet, but PRS said to me when it becomes a problem they will refinish the guitar free of charge..... mind you that was now ten years ago....... :D

Yep to clouding - a friend had his Blue Matteo 513 Rosewood refinished for this reason. What can also happen with V12 finishes is that it delaminates from the edge of the rosewood fingerboard - this is what is happening to my DGT. PRS said that in some rare instances the V12 finish just didn't like the oily nature of Rosewood and didn't adhere too well. It's not an issue as of yet, but PRS said to me when it becomes a problem they will refinish the guitar free of charge..... mind you that was now ten years ago....... :D
Blue Matteo is such an awesome color.

Based on yours and past comments Greg Ferguson has made it seems PRS will make good on any manufacturer defects. I'm just wondering if that applies to the secondary market.

I had a 2019 artist cu24 with maple neck and a little delam on the bass side. Buyer got a good price and its an easy fix, but a shame it happens n

Based on yours and past comments Greg Ferguson has made it seems PRS will make good on any manufacturer defects. I'm just wondering if that applies to the secondary market.

PRS GUITARS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY​

If you are the original owner and are experiencing an issue with your PRS guitar, please contact your Authorized PRS Dealer or a PRS Guitars Customer Service Representative who will work with you to understand the issue and provide next steps.

This warranty is extended to the original purchaser only and may not be transferred or assigned to subsequent owners.

PRS Guitars warrants its guitars to be free from defects in materials and workmanship, subject to the limitations contained herein.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:

1. Any instrument on which the serial number has been removed or altered
  2. Any instrument not purchased from an authorized dealer or upon which unauthorized repair or service work has been carried out
  3. Any instrument that has been damaged due to an accident, negligence or misuse
  4. Shipping damage of any kind
  5. Normal “wear and tear,” including but not limited to any discoloration, fading, finish cracking, or damage to the original finish, worn frets, strings, tuners, hardware, and plating
  6. Any subjective issues such as wood grain, tonal characteristics, and “feel”
  7. Any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular use, including setup and pickup height
  8. Any instrument that has been subjected to extremes of humidity and temperature
  9. Any factory installed electronics and hardware after two years from the original date of purchase

PRS makes no other express warranty of any kind whatsoever. All implied warranties exceeding the specific provisions of this warranty are hereby disclaimed and excluded from this warranty. Some states and/or countries do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties so that the above may not apply to you.

PRS shall not be liable for any special, indirect consequential, incidental, or other similar damage suffered by the purchaser or any third party including without limitation, damages for loss of profits or business, or damage resulting from use or performance of the instrument, whether in contract or in tort, even if PRS or its authorized representatives has been advised of the possibility of such damages, and PRS shall not be liable for any expenses, claims or suits arising out of or relating to any of the foregoing.

If at any time during the warranty the guitar malfunctions due to faulty materials and workmanship, PRS will, at its sole discretion, repair the defect without charge or replace it with a model of similar specification and value that does not exceed the original purchase price of the guitar.

They refinished it under warranty.

Your '94 would've predated the ghosting problem which emerged in the late-90s and supposedly it's been fixed as of about 2015.
I am pretty sure there were some clouding issues before the late 90's. It has been an issue with a small percentage of guitars for a long time. It also seems to happen to finish colors that have natural backs like Blue Matteo. My guitar that had the issue has a natural back.

They will fix it for a secondary owner but they charge for it. The last price I saw for this was around $700.

Back
Top Bottom