Problem with MFC101 expression pedals

eljodon

Experienced
I bought the MFC101 mainly because you can use 4 expression pedals, but for some reason #2 and#3 stop working, then they'll work again. I try switching the pedals and it does the same thing. I'm using 2 Rolands and an M Audio expression pedals. I use #1 for volume that always work. I know is not the pedals because they worked all the time with my Voodoo Labs GCX Pro. Anybody has any ideas? My cc# are 16,17,18,19.Thanks

CC# 16 through 19 are "external 1 through 4". Make sure that you have a parameter connected to either one of these external controllers in (every single one) your patches. If in a patch nothing is "connected" to (for example) external 4 your pedal with CC#19 won't work, in that particular patch.

Another way would be to use a (sort of) global approach, where you give a pedal a CC# for a specific (generic) MIDI function. (Output volume, input volume etc.) That will make it work in every patch, without reprogramming all of them.

Here's a list of default CC# .

Last edited:
Thanks winger, as usual, this forum is amazing, it's full of people willing to help with knowledge. I'll check it out cos last night I was doing a solo were I use the wammy to fake a slide solo and when I presses the pedal I could'nt move the pitch up or down and there was no MIDI message on the green LED. I have another question. Is it possible to change my other guitar player Axe Fx Ultra presets on song mode and also his keyboard patches. In my old system I used to use MIDI 1 for my Axe Fx, MIDI 2 and 3 for his synhs. Thanks

You're welcome. I'm really new at this stuff myself. Luckily I had been tampering with my MFC myself since I got it last week. So it was all relatively fresh in my mind.;)

Regarding your second question, I have no experience myself with a similar setup. I'd say it should be possible when, as you described, every piece of gear has it's own MIDI channel and the MFC sends it's data on all channels.

Another way might be to have custom CC's sent together with a patch change message.
I mean when you change a patch on your MFC, a CC message (configured for another channel) would be sent as well.

I do know that that chapter is in the manual somewhere. Just no idea how to implement it though. Sorry:eek:ops Let's wait and see if someone else can chime in.

Thanks again winger, I've been using MIDI pedals to switch stuff for years in the days when I use to have what I used to call "the refrigirator rack" plus 3 different amps. The MFC101 is way deeper than my old GCX pro or many others I used(remember the Rockman MIDI Octopus?) I'm not sure if it can be done in song mode, but I'll keep reading!

Ok. That's the spirit. Would like to hear the outcome. Gives me à chance to learn from you. :)

On second thought, song mode uses the exact same patches as preset mode.
Except for the fact that they are arranged how the user wishes them to be.
So, if it works for you in preset mode, my guess would be that it would work in
song mode as well.

Why not give Matman a shout? He's very knowledgeable when it comes to the MFC's deep stuff. (Among lots of other things.):idea

Any news on this? Are you still having this problem? I've been having similar problems using my expression pedals with my mfc101. Sometimes they just stop responding. Sometimes after using my wah controller for a little while it will somehow trigger the axe-fx to go into bypass mode! I'm still working on troubleshooting cables and other factors, but I'm interested to hear if you have any updates about your own situation.

Thanks!
Sam

Hi Mic,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize my firmware was out of date. I was using 1.0. I just upgraded to 1.02 and everything seems to be behaving nicely now.

I should have checked the firmware version before posting. Thanks for the help, and thanks to Fractal for the quick fix!

Back
Top Bottom