Pro Tips for tube power amp input + cab?

TLDR: I'm looking to compile everyone's finest secrets, tips and advice for getting the most out of the [tube] power amp and cab experience.

I'll say this first: Axe FX III is probably easiest to use as-intended with FRFR. I have to think that's the intention even if it is fully capable through cabs etc. I currently use a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 for this purpose, an all-tube powered cab, essentially. V30's, power amp input that sends the signal through 12AX7 preamp tubes -> 6L6 power tubes. Coloration isn't a concern to me.

I've always struggled with using cabs. I want to, like many of us, but something always seems off. I can say it sounds fine, but there's a lack of sustain or something among other things I struggle to put my finger on. These aspects of the sound aren't lost with FRFR, but of course it's still FRFR. I doubt I need to explain how FRFR and a cab are a different experience for the player.

So, what have you guys learned, what are your go-to's and must-do's when running through a tube/power amp + guitar cab? Don't get me wrong, I'm still learning. When I want to do something or am having fun with something, I lock in and I don't stop until I know it inside and out. Fractal gives us so much, and I'm grateful, but even I haven't gone through every parameter. I'm still learning to EQ, in the past it wasn't in the picture for me really, now it's everything.

How I currently operate:
--Speaker impedance... I recently saw a post saying to set it to resistive load. I am still deciding how I feel on this and comparing it. It seems that using resistive load takes the shrill treble etc away, sending a more flat signal to the actual speakers? I like that. Less need for funky EQ that a simple amp wouldn't need. My previous thoughts were to choose the curve that matches your cab the best.
--Output mode FRFR vs SS P.A. + Cab ... tbt I don't notice even a sliver of a confirmation bias of a difference between, but for good measure I set this to Amp + Cab.
--EQ.. low cut any abnormal lows, high cut unnatural highs
--Power amp modeling on, or off? To be or not to be? Here I find that some amps are simply not models at all without the power amp modeling on, and with my amp I don't feel I lose anything by having it on, but I do lose with it off. No power amp modeling on a Class A for example means no "pushing the tubes" and no Class A character is left, really. I leave power amp modeling on in most cases to no ill effect with my setup.
--Set Axe FX III to low-latency mode instead of higher quality. It's subtle, but for me it seems to reconnect me to the "amp."
--Supply Sag <3

-Some issues I face:
--One of my biggest issues is palm mutes don't feel right. Not at all. Power amp modeling off doesn't help on most amps, it still sounds and feels like that FRFR mic'd IR palm mute, except I have no IR, it's going through my V30's. It's not punchy, and it's stiff.
--Speaking of stiff, I get that vibe overall a lot with a cab. Even when I've used SS power amps.
--I've used many different things over the years trying to find my favorite. I can plug into any amp and still appreciate that immediacy more than one might think even if I dislike the amp - I actually quite like this Spider Valve I got to monitor my Axe through, but that stiffness from the modeling is still there. Like...it sounds right, but... it feels off.

I dunno. I'm mainly hoping to compile people's experiences and what you've all learned in one place. What is mandatory for you to enjoy playing your Fractal device through an amp and cab?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom