Prince Tones?

Jipps0525

Power User
Not sure how to delete my other thread on my phone but might get more traffic here.

Anyone have a good preset for Prince? He gets a nice variety of tones several effects. I perused the internet and read hes gone direct for some clean stuff, or used a mesa mark II. Im sure it changed alot and for different songs. But if anyone has a preset or ideas to get in the ballpark that would be cool! I seem to be going down a Prince rabbithole so of course came here to pick some brains!

To me, it sounds like he was using an early zoom product. 9002? 9050?
What album are we talking about? There’s a wide range

Not sure how to delete my other thread on my phone but might get more traffic here.

Anyone have a good preset for Prince? He gets a nice variety of tones several effects. I perused the internet and read hes gone direct for some clean stuff, or used a mesa mark II. Im sure it changed alot and for different songs. But if anyone has a preset or ideas to get in the ballpark that would be cool! I seem to be going down a Prince rabbithole so of course came here to pick some brains!
Iirc, Prince pretty much used what was around. I believe in the past he has used princetons, the mesa linestar and even peaveys.

Randall

He used Mark IIC+'s a ton in the '80's, then went to the MKIII, but went to the SLO in the early '90's for a while (IIRC). Not sure what he used since, but I know he used a ton of Mesa over time.

He used Mark IIC+'s a ton in the '80's, then went to the MKIII, but went to the SLO in the early '90's for a while (IIRC). Not sure what he used since, but I know he used a ton of Mesa over time.
So i get my Mesas all confused. Is that different from the USA yellow channel amp model?

Pretty sure his pedalboard was all BOSS products.
Not all but mostly from the pics I've seen. One popular pic has lots of Boss + a Line 6 MM4 (I think) and a Whammy pedal.

He did seem to be a pedalboard guy so IMHO use pedals in front of whatever amp. I really don't think the amp matters as much as the pedals. Any good, clean amp should be ok. Do a google search on his rig to get an idea of what he used.

He used Mesa amps a lot, and a tonne of Boss pedals. Lenny Kravitz once mentioned Prince had a cupboard full of pedals, mostly Boss. Here’s a pic. I just built a setup that sounds quite like his sound on the While My Guitar Gently weeps video. May not be accurate but its a Metal Distortion pedal ahead of a Mesa IIC bright boost, and its almost spot on with a touch of reverb. Just experiment and enjoy.

Attachments

• PrincePedalBoard.jpg
    PrincePedalBoard.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom