Preset output levelling on the frontpanel

Axelman8

Power User
Hey there, i got a question about preset output leveling on the front-panel.

To level the new factory presets i now have this approach:
On the front-panel, i select the amp in the scene and edit it:
  • When in the "Home" panel view (with the scenes on screen), choose layout with knob "B"
  • Choose AMP and select button EDIT
  • Go with PAGE button -> right to last page "Advanced"
  • Go all the way down to "Output" and the adjust the level. I do that in every scene by selecting the scene with the foot-controller.

Result:
It is a quick approach to level the preset output per scenes, but somehow it slightly adjusts the clarity in the tone (Leveling with headphones on).
I can't explain what clarity really means, but i presume the word itself makes sense?

My question:
Is this the way to level presets with the front-panel or is there another technique/option?
I know the option in Axe-edit, menu item "Tools" option "Preset leveling ", but this question regards preset output leveling on the front-panel.

Cheers

The output volume of the amp block does not change the frequency response of the tone from the amp block in any way, it only affects the output level of the block. I suspect you're mistakenly perceiving "quieter" as "darker," and "louder" as "brighter" or "more clear." Our ears are more sensitive to treble and bass at higher volumes, which often leads to confusing "louder" with "better." Headphones in particular can be tough, especially given the wild variations in frequency response between headphone models.

To answer your question, I use the amp level parameters to volume match all my presets. I know what levels I like to record at in my DAW so I set all my presets to hit that level using the amp level parameter. It's much easier on my mind to leave all other level parameters at 0dB except in unique circumstances (clean boost, compensating for a perceived decrease in average volume on a tremolo, running reverb at 100% wet in parallel, etc).

I use headphones to level presets. Don’t listen to tone when leveling, listen only for volume.

Adjust for tone prior to leveling and turn the volume up comfortably loud to give your brain and ears something to work with; Use a GEQ or PEQ block just before your OUT block, and flatten the headphone’s response. Search https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results for your headphone model to get the curve(s) and find the one that sounds best to you. (I suspect the PEQ is a bit more accurate but GEQ is good enough for our purpose.) You can even use the channels in the block to have up to four curves, then save the block to your library for reuse. Disable or remove it before you save the preset.

I prefer using the editor and the leveling tool as the graphs help and the amp level and OUT1 level are right there but YMMV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom