Wish Preset Information Summary screen

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I'd like to see a Preset Information Summary screen added to Axe-Edit (and possibly the hardware, shortened).

It would display the following (per preset):
  • Preset name and slot number
  • Firmware version which it was saved with
  • Scene as saved
  • CPU %
  • Tempo: preset/global, bpm
  • Modifiers: yes/no (press to go to Controllers > Modifiers screen and which modifiers)
  • Global blocks: yes/no (press to see which ones)
  • Per-Preset Performance controls: yes/no (press to go to the Performance pages)
  • FC Per-Preset: yes/no (press to go that screen)
  • Scene names
  • Scene levels per OUT block (all channels)
  • [added:] Block channels with Scene Ignore enabled
  • MIDI block settings
  • Input block(s): gate type, input impedance (all channels)
  • Amp block(s): type, impedance curve (all channels)
  • Cab block(s): type, user/factory, resolution (all channels)
  • Properties which won't carry over to FM3 and FM9
This would be available under Tools and as a button.

Ideally, Axe-Edit would also be able to generate such a list of ALL presets through Tools > Export as Text.

Last edited:
+1

I think for the "all presets" getting the CPU use would be a challenge.

Even for the current preset it would probably only be practical for the current scene.

You'd need something like a script to load the preset, collect the data, and present the results. It actually strikes me as something FracTool would be good at, since it's extracting/analyzing and not modifying data.

You'd need something like a script to load the preset, collect the data, and present the results. It actually strikes me as something FracTool would be good at, since it's extracting/analyzing and not modifying data.
Yes, there's an old todo item on my list which is "make FracTool scriptable", but i'd first need to rewrite most of the internal elements...

Yes, there's an old todo item on my list which is "make FracTool scriptable", but i'd first need to rewrite most of the internal elements...
Yep, adding scripting can cause a lot of refactoring; I added it to an existing app once, and it drove me crazy. I eventually rewrote the entire thing to get scripting working. It was a good exercise because it made the code more modular but was tiring thinking in terms of the possible actions someone would want to do.

I think that's why scripting doesn't get implemented for many older apps. With new ones, especially those that use a native programming environment like Xcode, it's easier because they have tools built into the environment to encourage and ease adding the hooks.

I've messed around with Apple's newer languages that are 'sposed to make it really easy but the tutorials hadn't been fleshed out to that point yet, and haven't gone back to pick up where I stopped.

PS - I have Python code started to dig inside .syx files with the goal of being able to dump the block information inside a preset. I had it talking to the FX3 reliably then something changed and that went kaput and I haven't felt like beating my head against it with the debugger yet. Python isn't my forte, it just has good MIDI libraries it seems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom