Power Amp that has Digital Inputs?

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
This thread got me thinking... is there such a thing as a power amp that has digital inputs specifically for loudspeakers such as guitar and bass?

I did a google search for "Digital In Power Amp" (and a couple of variations) but the only "power amp" that came up was the Crown XTi series of power amps that are "digital" in the sense of having "DSP speaker presets for crossover frequencies, EQ, limiting, delay, a subharmonic synthesizer."

I'm looking for something that would accept any of the digital outs of the Axe-fx... the only option might be to get a home theater power amp... :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no reason to do so IMHO, either way you are going to have A/D/A conversion from the power amp or the AxeFX - it has to convert to analog to power the speakers. I'd rather depend the AxeFX to do this.

There is some question about using DSP amps, you will have the latency from the AxeFX combined with the latency of the DSP. I think that Cliff has commented about these types of amps. I have a Crown XTi, but use it with DSP Off to power my guitar rigs.

yea i thought about this too, it seems like a good concept to keep something that is digital all the way through with little conversion as possible, but in the end something is going to convert it whether it's the axe or something else. It can't stay digital forever. At least the axe converters are top notch from what i hear.

there are "digital amplifiers", but as far as I know, only in the audiophile circles. For example the NAD M2.
As far as I understand the technical stuff, the transistors in that amps switch on and off (very fast, but since it is on and off, digital) and only before the signal is going to the speakers, it is high-pass filtered.
If the pulses are 100% off, the output is at it's maximum negative value, if the pulses are off 75%, the output is 50% negative, etc.

Back
Top Bottom