Power amp for modeler

Gfireone

Hello all,

I wanted to get this thread going. I know this question gets tossed around quite a bit. So here’s mine. If I have a new mesa boogie 4x12 cabinet, can I purchase and should I purchase a solid state power amp if using a FM3, FM9, or AXE3. If so and possible then what will work? Thanks

I power my Mesa 2x12 with an orange pedalbaby
Fm3 > basic preset (drive,amp, delay)(no cab) > orange pb > 2x12
Global amp sim on-cabinet modeling off
Awesome in room sound.

Yes
The only one I found that claims A/B class feel.
Whatever that means.
I’ve used SD powerstage and a Crown xli800
The orange isn’t quite flat but I use the bass and treble slightly off from 12
I use the output eq of the amp block to round out the tone stack adjustment.
When I used IRs I was always chasing tone. This for me is more like amp in the room.

Oh, I've also used a fryette ps2, it had 6L6 power stage and I would set the fractal global power amp modeling off which kinda defeated the purpose of me trying different amps.
I would like to try KSR 50w power stage but I fear the same, power stage coloring on top of the fractal power stage.
Same logic when I run it through a tube amp using 4cm.
So I settled on the above mentioned orange pb 100

Excellent! That takes me in the solid direction I was searching for. Thanks you’ve been a great help!

Just got a ksr50 tried it for about 30 mins and it was excellent, power amp enabled set to hifi mode. KSR support said the pa is intended to make what you put in louder... Limited coloration but with more punch and fullness than a ss amp. I haven't experimented with pa modelling off yet on the fm3.

Prob start with the ps200. My buddy just got one and sold all of his amps instantly. Loves it into his 212 bassman cab.

Back
Top Bottom