POD X3 Live makes a great Floor Controller for the Axe-Fx

kitatonic

I use my POD X3 Live to control my AxeFX just fine.

I plug my guitar into my POD X3 Live. I use the stereo outs to feed a line level input into the back of my AxeFX. I also plug a MIDI out cable form the X3 Live into the AxeFX midi input.
Now I have a host of control options for the AxeFX.

for example, I could simply use the X3's pedal as a volume pedal on an empty X3 Live patch, so I can have a volume pedal for my AxeFX without having to setup a Volume parameter in my AxeFX patch.

This also lets me engage the half dozen wah pedal models available with the X3 Live without having to add a wah parameter into my AxeFX patch. Or I can set the volume pedal in the X3 Live to always broadcast 100% no matter what position it is in. Then I can assign its MIDI CC number (its 7 on mine) to any parameter on the AxeFX. So, for example, with some of my AxeFX patches I have the X3 Live volume pedal control the volume, reverb and gain parameters on an AxeFX patch all at the same time, all with custom input curves. I can also click the pedal into WAH mode, and set that as a separate expression pedal for a different parammeter in my AxeFX (mine broadcasts on 4 in wah mode)

You can also buy another expression pedal that plugs right into the X3 Live so you can have two pedals.

Its also got a
built-in tuner, which most midi floor controllers do not have.

Finally, while the X3 Live screen will not show you patch data from the AxeFX, You can always set a series of blank patches in your POD X3 Live that are named like your songs, and then when you click through them on the POD X3 Live, it will change the patch on the AxeFX and you will always know where your at (as long as you make sure they are both on the same patch when you start things up!)

Lastly, you've got all the built-in POD tones so you have a backup ready to go in case your AXEFX gets the hiccups onstage.

One final note about this. Imagine all the viewers watching these monster tones coming from your rig onstage, and thinking its all coming from the POD X3 Live at your feet!!! then imagine them trying to get the same thing from their Line 6 gear at home. Almost doesn't seem fair... :lol:

Reactions: Apx
I've been keen to look into this (as my X3 Live collects dust and I await the MFC-101). What exactly is the configuration of the non-MIDI connection between the two devices? A Y-ed stereo cable? A single mono cable?

KF

to answer kfliegner's question:

Here's the non-MIDI signal chain from my POD X3 Live to my AxeFX Ultra:

Guitar 1/4" Instrument Cable --> Guitar Input on the X3 Live --> Two TS Cables from the LIVE OUT output jacks on the X3 Live (left and right) --> Unbalanced left and right line-level inputs on the back of the AxeFX.

Here's the MIDI signal chain from my POD X3 Live to my AxeFX Ultra:

MIDI cable from the POD X3 Live MIDI Out --> AxeFX Ultra MIDI In.

It is important to remember that on the POD X3 Live you have to set the Output Master Volume and make sure to leave it in the same place. I find that the knob can get adjusted by accident easily as you move around the POD X3 Live, and the volume of your clean guitar signal going into the AxeFX makes a huge difference in the sound. When using your POD X3 Live the way I outlined in my first post, you are sending a clean guitar signal except for the built-in Line 6 wah models (if you are using them), so the output volume on the X3 Live effectively becomes a preamp for your guitar signal.

One possible drawback that just occured to me is that I believe that your guitar signal might be converted from analog to digital inside the POD X3 Live even with all the modeling turned off, and then turned back to analog when it travels to the AxeFX, only to be digitized again. I tested the AxeFX with and without the X3 Live in the signal chain and did not notice any quality loss at all. In fact, but I'm no expert. I would say that for most, there would be no difference to notice, but technically someone could.

The Axe has high quality AD and DA conversion.

The POD less so. A trip in and out of the POD will pass through its converters, not to mention its other circuitry, on the way in and on the way out.

Why subject your signal to that before even entering the Axe?

when i get some time next wekk, I will record a dry signal, then play it back with and without the line 6 in the signal chain and post it to theweb with links, so we can all hear if there is any difference in sound quality. I would love the opinions of others on what they *hear*.
thanks!

Hey kitatonic, have you ever had any problems when switching between POD banks? I've just set mine up for midi control via the X3 and it seems to work fine except for weird things happening when changing from one POD bank to another. For example, a delay that should default to bypassed becomes enabled. If I call up that same patch from within the same POD bank it comes up fine (the delay is bypassed like programmed). Any thoughts?

Have anyone experienced weird preset output volume changes when changing banks? After selecting a preset in the bank, the output volume is suddenly turned down to -20, and stored. Any idea of how to fix this?

Wouldn't it be best to connect directly to the Axe-fx's input and then run the midi cable to the Axe-fx from the HD500 as a controller and then if you want to use the sounds of the HD500... connect it into the FX Send/Receive?

I know this is an old thread, and was wondering, has anyone tried using the Pod X3 Live as a floor controller for the Axe FX III? How are your results?

I know this is an old thread, and was wondering, has anyone tried using the Pod X3 Live as a floor controller for the Axe FX III? How are your results?
I know my answer is long overdue, but:

X3live CAN work as a continuous controller (like if you tap "delay", or "stomp" buttons and it will toggle on/off the corresponding effects on the axe-fx). I have my x3 live set and it works just great with my axe-fx ultra, both as presets foot switch and as the fx controller. I can even use the expression pedal, use it as volume or fx tweak, turn wahs on/off by pressing the pedal and control them, can control rev mix with "verb" knob, drive level, and even the tap tempo is working..

So how do you make it work? With your line6 turned on and connected to the axe-fx via midi cable, press I/O button on the axe-fx, go to 'control' page. This is where the midi control message numbers are stored. Scroll down to any effect or function needed to assign, then press enter button. The "learning' message will go flashing on the screen. Now press the desired button on your line6, so that Axe-fx can 'learn' this button and assign it to the chosen effect. Now you can buy me a beer )).
Likewise you can assign your onboard pedal to work as input level controller, use onboard knobs to control corresponding parameters on the axe-fx. Let me know if anyone needs this information.

Back
Top Bottom