Please Help Matrix GT1000FX setup

jamesblonde

I could use some direction for properly routing my matrix GT1000fx. From my understanding, it’s what a lot of bands are using to push their Fractals through real cabs. I bought one and am unsure which input settings/outputs to use. I am either running it through an Orange PPC 212 or a Marshall 4x12 depending on what studio I am in. My questions are as follows:

1) for the input: does it matter if I use A or B? And should I set it to stereo, parallel or bridge?

2) for the output: should I use A, B or X?

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Depends on if you want to run in Stereo/Dual mono/parallel to 2 outputs/cabs, or mono only to one output/cab??. A and B in stereo/paralllel act like two separate mono amps to two cabs. Bridge mode to output X is for mono only use to 1 cab and results in double the output power compared to A+B in stereo/parallel.

I'd suggest reading the manual - all these subjects are in there and explained quite clearly.

Last edited:
Depends on if you want to run in Stereo/Dual mono to 2 outputs/cabs, or mono only to one output/cab??. A and B in paralllel act like two separate mono amps. Bridge mode to output X is for mono only use and results in double the output power compared to A+B in parallel.

I'd suggest reading the manual - all these subjects are in there and explained quite clearly.
I’m only looking to run in mono to one cab. So maybe just use input A on bridge mode into output X?

I’m only looking to run in mono to one cab. So maybe just use input A on bridge mode into output X?
yes - just watch that the amp level is not set so high that it exceeds your cab's wattage capacity (the output wattages with various cab impedances are noted in the manual).

I'd stay away from bridge mode unless you know your cab(s) can take the output wattage the GT1000 can push at that particular impedance load.

From Matrix:

Watts per channel @ 4 ohm500w RMS
Watts per channel @ 8 ohm325w RMS
Watts per channel @ 16 ohm150w RMS
Bridged mode @ 8 ohm1000w RMS
Bridged mode @ 16 ohm650w RMS

Run stereo switch on the matrix, but only plug into A as the input. Run a speaker cable from the output of A to the input of your cabinet. As others have stated watch the wattage of your cabinet. I've blown up a couple 1x12 Speakers with the matrix

Also, in your presets, shunt off before the cab block to the proper output. You didn't mention which Fractal unit you're using but my recommendations are:

AxeFX 3 - Output 3. Unity Gain Output 3 knob fully up
FM9 - Output 3. Unity Gain Output 3 knob fully up
FM3 - Output 2. Unity Gain Output 2 knob fully up

Adjust the A knob on the matrix for your on stage volume.

Follow up question: how should I route from my axefx iii to my matrix? Is it best to use output 1, 2, 3 or 4 to go into the input of the matrix?

Also, in the amp block in axe edit:
1) should I turn power amp modeling off?
2) should I switch from FRFR to SS pwr amp and cab in the speaker tab?

Any other axe edit tips or axe fx input/output tips I’m missing?

Run stereo switch on the matrix, but only plug into A as the input. Run a speaker cable from the output of A to the input of your cabinet. As others have stated watch the wattage of your cabinet. I've blown up a couple 1x12 Speakers with the matrix

Also, in your presets, shunt off before the cab block to the proper output. You didn't mention which Fractal unit you're using but my recommendations are:

AxeFX 3 - Output 3. Unity Gain Output 3 knob fully up
FM9 - Output 3. Unity Gain Output 3 knob fully up
FM3 - Output 2. Unity Gain Output 2 knob fully up

Adjust the A knob on the matrix for your on stage volume.
Thank you ross, you’re the man! Your videos rule!

Thank you ross, you’re the man! Your videos rule!

You're very welcome. I have one about this very setup using an AxeFX3.

As for the following:
1) should I turn power amp modeling off?
2) should I switch from FRFR to SS pwr amp and cab in the speaker tab?

I just keep everything at defaults and it sounds fine. Keep the power amp modeling on.

Run stereo switch on the matrix, but only plug into A as the input. Run a speaker cable from the output of A to the input of your cabinet
I always understood that, for Stereo/Parallel modes, both Matrix outputs need to have a load on them. It seems to say that on p16 of the manual: "NOTE:
• Ensure the amplifier has no less than 4 Ohms worth of loading across each channel for Stereo/Parallel modes.
". Not sure therefore there is an option other than bridged, when using only one cab.

(reiterating that the OP take care regardless of mode, not to overwhelm your cab's wattage capacity since any Matrix mode can be brutally loud).

Last edited:
I always understood that, for Stereo/Parallel modes, both Matrix outputs need to have a load on them. It seems to say that on p16 of the manual: "NOTE:
• Ensure the amplifier has no less than 4 Ohms worth of loading across each channel for Stereo/Parallel modes.
". Not sure therefore there is an option other than bridged, when using only one cab.

(reiterating that the OP take care regardless of mode, not to overwhelm your cab's wattage capacity since any Matrix mode can be brutally loud).

That would imply that you -always- have to have two speaker cabinets connected to a matrix power amp. There are plenty of people who only use one guitar cabinet. My understanding of what you quoted in the manual is that you can't have a 2 ohm load or something less than 4 ohms -if- there is a load to begin with.

I've toured and gigged with the matrix amps for over a decade using one speaker with the switch in stereo mode (connected to channel A) without issue.

Here is a youtube video from the Matrix Youtube channel and it even says in the instructions the matrix will happily run one cab with no load to the other. (As long as it's 4 ohms and above)

My understanding of what you quoted in the manual is that you can't have a 2 ohm load or something less than 4 ohms -if- there is a load to begin with.
I've noticed also when reading it, that it can be taken two ways - not exactly clear since "no less than 4ohm" could also be taken as "not no cab" - but if they've clarified in a vid that "no load allowed on one side in stereo/parallel" then it must be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom