Playing Direct LIVE: Any Tips?

saxxamafone

Inspired
have been using the axe in the studio (direct) and with my poweramp/4x12

i have got some good tones going in the studio and am about to attempt going direct live to the PA in a few weeks time

I will have a pretty big soundcheck so i should have some good tweaking time

Any tips when going from the studio to a live situation?

Here are some things that worked for me:

• Assemble the exact gear that you will be using to play live shows[/*:m:mcjzfbcc]
  • Set and tweak all your patches/tones at stage volume levels[/*:m:mcjzfbcc]
  • If you play in a group, do a few group rehearsals and solicit the input/opinions of your group mates[/*:m:mcjzfbcc]
  • Try to have at least one tech rehearsal, use your wireless rig (or have someone else play your guitar) to get out in front of the FOH mains and listen to your tone. See how the guitar sits in the mix. Does it compete with other instruments for spectrum space?[/*:m:mcjzfbcc]
  • Make backups of your tweaked presets :)[/*:m:mcjzfbcc]

Make sure you have your monitoring situation for yourself clearly set up. A separate volume for your own personal monitor versus one you send to FOH is advisable. (I do it via Output 1 and Output 2 from the Axe-FX for instance.)

From there; it's really no different than any other gig.

Remember to have fun! Once you get this way of gigging dialed in and nailed down... you'll be hard pressed to 'go back' to a conventional setup.

Patches you have tweaked for your 4X12 are not what you want to send direct. You need to have cab sims and tweak for FRFR. If you are planning on using your cab on stage and go direct for FOH, you can use a FX loop block before the cab block for the house. You might try a powered monitor such as the QSC HPR 122i. That would allow you to tweak once.

Scott Peterson said:
Make sure you have your monitoring situation for yourself clearly set up. A separate volume for your own personal monitor versus one you send to FOH is advisable. (I do it via Output 1 and Output 2 from the Axe-FX for instance.)

When you play live, do you typically have a monitor just with your guitar in it, then another with the whole band mix?

Mark

markus said:
Scott Peterson said:

When you play live, do you typically have a monitor just with your guitar in it, then another with the whole band mix?

Mark

Yes.

I like the QSC in front of me with just me; and then another monitor (if the stage/gig) is big enough right next to it with 'everyone else'. I usually share the 'everyone' else one with another band member and angle the QSC just at my head.

Interesting. I love having the band in my QSCs....but then again, I can control the mix. Different ways to skin a cat.

Come to think of it....why would anyone want to skin a cat?

MKeditor said:
Interesting. I love having the band in my QSCs....but then again, I can control the mix. Different ways to skin a cat.

Come to think of it....why would anyone want to skin a cat?

Cat gut strings?

I'm just talking about how I do it; my experience and methods are not universal by any means.

I split the feed off the Axe-FX to my monitor and one to FOH. I let them do what they do with my signal 'out there' but it allows me to hear 'more me' as I want.

Just what works for me.

And, FWIW, I prefer cats with the skin on them. :shock:

I posted this in a few other people's threads a few weeks back. I suppose it's relevant here, as well. Here's my advice (for what it's worth)...

Before you head out, play your AXE FX however you'll do it live. Normally, I'd suggest that if you're going to use a power amp and guitar cabinet, play it like this at home... LOUD. But, if you're going to go direct (FRFR), play it like this at home... LOUD. Try to get the patches that you plan to use for the show to all be (relatively) the same volume. Did I mention that you should do this LOUD? Try them at the volume that you will expect you'll set it at for the show. Go through each one & adjust each so that they're all the correct volume in relation to each other. But, you're not done, yet...

When you're there... if you have time for a sound check, have the drummer and bass player play a simple rhythm in an easy key. Play something over their jamming and quickly try each of your patches. If any seem like they're too loud compared to the others, adjust them to be a little lower and re-save them right then & there. If any are too quiet, adjust them to be a bit louder and save them. Check them again if you can to make sure that you didn't adjust any too much. The point is to make sure that you can hear each of them equally, or at appropriate levels compared to each other over the rhythm section. It never fails that once you're loud & live on stage - your sounds aren't as balanced as you thought they were at home. The frequencies that the bass, drums, cymbals, and other instruments might dominate will cancel out some of what you might normally hear from your patches. Volume levels might seem off once you're playing with everyone else. Try to get them right at a practice, if possible, and then check them again on stage before the show begins.

Remember that the beauty of going direct is that you will hear what the audience hears. If you get a good volume mix amongst your patches ahead of time, it will pay major dividends. Good luck and have fun.
:cool:

alot of great tips here, thanks!!

Think having the soundcheck before the gig is VITAL
No way i have the confidence to pull this off without a good soundcheck

Scott Peterson said:
A separate volume for your own personal monitor versus one you send to FOH is advisable. (I do it via Output 1 and Output 2 from the Axe-FX for instance.)

+1, and if you are using the house wedges it's great to have the separate global EQ's as well as separate volume control. If you're tweaking sounds DI in the studio, I'd suggest leaving the Out1 global EQ flat and let the FOH guys dial it in, unless you find some major deficiency. Stage wedges are generally not EQ'd for a flat sound, usually have cuts to prevent feedback from vocal mics. You can compensate to a degree with the Out2 global EQ. I've gotten acceptable tones from a variety of inexpensive monitors. If the band works at a decent stage volume, it works great. If you're playing death metal and/or competing with 4x12/8x10 backline, then DI through the wedges might not cut it.

Back
Top Bottom