Wish Pitch block: open tunings

You would need something similar to the Helix + Variax, which is not implemented in the current Fractal products.

Like a completely new technology that doesn’t exist?

Super easy. Barely an inconvinence.
It is a wish list, not a what is easy to make list. And was answered politely and correctly by others so why the snarky response? And BTW, that would be “inconvenience”

i woudnt have thought all the things the fractal stuff can do is real.lol always something new

Like a completely new technology that doesn’t exist?

Super easy. Barely an inconvinence.
I would have thought the Roland/Boss 13-pin GK-pickup technology, combined with their synth pedals such as VG-99, GR-55, GP-10 or SY-1000 could do this request, if not already providing it in their products. It should merely require Fractal to then incorporate this into their own product line.

I agree that would not be super easy, and it would probably be an inconvenience (I'm not an electronics engineer, so I can't be certain), but I think it does exist?

i just thought it would be up the alley of like scale where you dial up what notes you wanted or something.

i just thought it would be up the alley of like scale where you dial up what notes you wanted or something.
Yeah, unfortunately for any effect system, to tune each individual string to a certain pitch, the system has to identify each individual string.

For example, let’s just say we want the G string to change to F#. If we set it that way, sure if it hears a G it makes it into an F#. But what if I play the same G note on another string? I want a G, but it forces THAT string’s G into an F#. Not what we want.

Now multiply that for all strings with different notes, and the moment you fret anything it won’t be correct.

The Variax guitars by Line 6 or the Boss Synth GK products can do this because of the specific pickups used that send all 6 strings data/sound individually to their processors. I believe there is no technology available for just a “bunch of notes” from a single guitar output to constantly be identified as you play.

At this time you’d need a specific pickup for each string and a system that understands all that data.

I would have thought the Roland/Boss 13-pin GK-pickup technology, combined with their synth pedals such as VG-99, GR-55, GP-10 or SY-1000 could do this request, if not already providing it in their products. It should merely require Fractal to then incorporate this into their own product line.

I agree that would not be super easy, and it would probably be an inconvenience (I'm not an electronics engineer, so I can't be certain), but I think it does exist?
What are you trying to say?

The 13-pin system requires a specific pickup to sense each string individually and specialized hardware to receive and process those multiple inputs.

This would require new hardware from Fractal...

It should merely require Fractal to then incorporate this into their own product line.

"merely" but not "super easy" and being "an inconvenience" are contradictions.

What you're asking for exists in specialized units, AKA guitar synthesizers, with specific, mandatory hex guitar pickups. Those include the ability to change the pitch of the incoming sound for each string because they're receiving each string's input separately. It's an easy thing to change the pitch of that string at that point and create open tunings.

Fractal's products are not guitar synthesizers. They see all the string's sound at once and change it equally, so whether it's a single note or a chord it'll change, acting like a capo or a tremolo bar.

As was said above, it can't differentiate one string from another from the incoming sound, mostly because the guitar has the ability to play the same pitch in different locations on the neck using different strings, and decoding that into the sound of individual strings fails badly.

To do what you want with a modeler like the Fractals requires three units and a guitar with a hex pickup. A Line-6 Variax will do it for less money, but it can't model the amps or pedals. https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/guide-to-line-6-variax-guitars/

@unix-guy ; @Greg Ferguson :

Forget it, boys, I'm not asking for anything.

I know what the Fractal product line/technology is (superficially).
I know what the Roland/Boss 13-pin and synth technology is (superficially).
I know what the Boss modelling product line/technology is (superficially).

I understand (superficially) the differences between them, and what would be involved (superficially) to try to marry them together, and how divergent the result would be from the current.

I just saw the words "completely new technology that doesn’t exist", along with a couple of other sentiments, and got triggered.

I've been bedroom dabbling on the far outer edges of computing, bulletin boards and the like, since my first Apple II+ computer in about 1984, but I still haven't learnt the art of embedding sentiment (e.g. of "taking-the-mickey") into the cold and remote written text. I'll take my leave stage-left now..........

Yeah, unfortunately for any effect system, to tune each individual string to a certain pitch, the system has to identify each individual string.

For example, let’s just say we want the G string to change to F#. If we set it that way, sure if it hears a G it makes it into an F#. But what if I play the same G note on another string? I want a G, but it forces THAT string’s G into an F#. Not what we want.

Now multiply that for all strings with different notes, and the moment you fret anything it won’t be correct.
The pitch of open G string is the same as fretted D string on the 5th fret, but the tone is definitely different.
Wouldn’t it be possible, in the far far future, that a system could be designed that could learn the sound (pitch and “tone’) of all strings on all frets? To set up You would play all strings on all frets one by one and such system would learn your particular guitar’s sounds (For a strat that would be 138 sounds) Once learned, the pitch shift could be applied for any chord played on the “learned” guitar.

Once you've got a hex pickup installed on the guitar, this would simply require a future Fractal product to have..

a 13 Pin input capability in addition to the current I/O, plus 6 instances of the Tone Match block to model various guitars and pickup positions per string, and 6 instances of the Pitch block to change the tuning per string

or

you would need to get an analog breakout box to take individual analog string signals form the hex pickup and run each of those into one of the Axe's 1/4" inputs (Axe III only), and would then still require 6 instances of the Pitch block.

Much easier to just use a Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10 or SY-1000 into the Axe.

Or again, get a hex pickup with a breakout box and run each string into a mini pitch shifter pedal. You wouldn't get any guitar modelling though and would need to eq each string a bit to remove harshness from the hex pickup's tone as it's mounted very close to the bridge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom