Petrucci's Suspended Animation tone

5t3f

Hi guys!!

I'm trying to emulate Petrucci's tone on Suspended animation. Back then he was playing a Mesa Road King and he used the modern channel for rythm guitar and the vintage channel for lead and solos. In the AxeFx there's the Recto Red, Recto Orange and Recto New so if anyone knows what amp would be the best to emulate his channels please let me know.

If anyone has some good patch to start with please post it.

I'm a huge JP fan too. I'd definately use the CALI cab for his tone. I owned a Roadster (close to a Roadking) and definately prefered the modern setting in the amp but in the Axe-Fx I prefer the "Recto Orange" over the "Recto New". Try using them both and find what works for you. Some people think that the vintage mode sounds more like JPs tone.

Anyways you should try these EQ settings:

Presence Master Gain
12 OClock 11:30 3 OClock
Bass Mid Treble Channel Mode
10:30 9:30 1 OClock Vintage

Those should sound pretty close to a JP tone...

EDIT: KEEP YOUR PATCH SIMPLE!!!!!! 1 AMP BLOCK AND 1 CAB BLOCK IS ENOUGH!!!!

OK I wanted to do this myself and I think I've found my new main rhythm tone! I constantly compared my tone to the "Jaws Of Life" intro and I got something REALLY CLOSE! Well I was using the same guitar that he was using back then so no surprise that the sound was so close. The only main difference here is that the rhythm tone has a lot less gain than the lead tone.

I got closest with the "Recto New" amp and the settings were GAIN@7.01 BASS@3.5 MIDDLE@5 TREBLE@7.99 MASTER@7.01 everything else was just the regular "Recto New" settings. The CAB clock was the CALI cab with no mic simulation. I know the tone will have too much low end but I'm 100% sure JP had it too in the studio and they used a lowcut. :)

EDIT: Sorry for being so excited but I never got tones that are this close to the original... I always thought that the Recto sims weren't that great but now they sound exactly like JPs tone. Use these settings:

TKY02.jpg

FYI the left channels are the high gain channels... the one that has more gain and the vintage mode on is for leads. Use the "RECTO ORANGE" with those EQ settings! The lower channel on the left side has the modern setting so use the "RECTO NEW" for this. The only thing that you should do different is to have the presence at 0... NOT AT -10!!!! Twelve o'clock... you know. ;) the minimum setting in presence sounds stupid with the Axe-Fx... once again I have pretty sharp ears and it's pretty close to the original this way. Too bassy ofcourse but that's the way it should be.

@Clark Kent

Yeah I also used this picture as reference to achieve his sound but with the AxeFx I'm not getting good results. Maybe it's because I have a different guitar (Ibanez RG with stock V8 pickup). I tried the same settings in Revalver and it sounds perfect but in the Axe i just can't achieve it. And I also have the same problem with the bass. I don't think Petrucci had so much bass going on. If you watch his lesson for YoungGuitar magazine you can hear there's not so much bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjhTfmqZhCs

Do you use a compressor before the amp as he did in the clinic?

He's probably using an SM57 as a mic there so it has a low cut around 70hz or something. Id rather leave the bass at twelve and use a low cut later on because without the bass a Recto doesn't sound angry at all... as it should. :)

This is what I got: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... V3gzZUE9PQ

Now I realized he mutes the riff in the beginning which is what I didn't do so there's the biggest difference. His tone has a bit more highs perhaps. I think this is as close at it needs to get... you can mix it to sound spot on...

EDIT: I didn't use a low cut on this!

And he also uses 6L6 tubes in the power amp which is not default for the dual rectifier. Too bad we can't choose the type of tubes in the AxeFx :(

5t3f said:
And he also uses 6L6 tubes in the power amp which is not default for the dual rectifier. Too bad we can't choose the type of tubes in the AxeFx :(

6L6 tubes are default in all Rectos... I've owned two. :) Or do you mean the switching between silicon diodes and rectifier tubes?

Your tone is pretty similar to the original. Maybe, you should try a different cab impulse, but it already sounds really good. I should really get myself a musicman JP ;)

Clark Kent said:
5t3f said:

6L6 tubes are default in all Rectos... I've owned two. :) Or do you mean the switching between silicon diodes and rectifier tubes?

Really? I thought they had EL34 as default tubes.

5t3f said:
Really? I thought they had EL34 as default tubes.

No they got 6L6s. The Roadking can have both at the same time and you can use EL34s with a Roadster too but 6L6 is default. :)

5t3f said:
Your tone is pretty similar to the original. Maybe, you should try a different cab impulse, but it already sounds really good. I should really get myself a musicman JP ;)

The CALI cab has the least flubby bass and even now it's a problem. I think I should have a bit more middle in the amp.... and yeah: you need a MM JP really bad! :D

Clark Kent-

Thanks for posting- don't know how I missed those settings from Tokyo but tried them this morning using a Suhr Modern and it sounded great! I might play with some Redwirez, but the Cali still sounded good.

BairdM3 said:
Clark Kent-

Thanks for posting- don't know how I missed those settings from Tokyo but tried them this morning using a Suhr Modern and it sounded great! I might play with some Redwirez, but the Cali still sounded good.

Thanks for liking the patch! You know I still read the JPForum sometimes and thanks for sharing this link over there. Too bad they don't register new members anymore... would love to join again.

HEY! I got an update:

I read a JP interview where he told the mic setup he used during that time period so I wondered what that would sound like in the Axe-Fx. IT SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I combined two mics together which were the SM57 (output volume -3) and the 421 (output volume -4). Combined them like this:

---[AMP]---[CAB1]--- One of the cabs is the CALI cab with SM57 and one of them is the CALI cab with 421.
----------\-[CAB2]-/ (Petrucci uses the smalled Mesa cab which is the "CALI" cab)

To avoid all the flub I added a low cut before the amp in each of my patches. It's around 175hz if I remember correctly. DO IT! Tell me what you guys think!

I've tried it and to me it sounds a little bit to scooped. There is something about the stock impulses that I don't like. Then I tried with the Racabinet impulse of the Mesa 4x12 Traditional cab and to me it sounds much closer to the original.

Clark Kent said:
HEY! I got an update:

I read a JP interview where he told the mic setup he used during that time period so I wondered what that would sound like in the Axe-Fx. IT SOUNDS EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I combined two mics together which were the SM57 (output volume -3) and the 421 (output volume -4). Combined them like this:

---[AMP]---[CAB1]--- One of the cabs is the CALI cab with SM57 and one of them is the CALI cab with 421.
----------\-[CAB2]-/ (Petrucci uses the smalled Mesa cab which is the "CALI" cab)

To avoid all the flub I added a low cut before the amp in each of my patches. It's around 175hz if I remember correctly. DO IT! Tell me what you guys think!

Do you know anything about the position of the mics?

@5t3f
AFAIK There is no Mesa Traditional 4x12 Redwirez cab. Do you mean the Mesa Recto 4x12 (Oversized)?

Yeah I mean the Mesa Recto 4x12(oversized). I know he doesn't use that cab but to me it sounds better. Can you please share the link where you found that interview with Petrucci?

Felix said:
Clark Kent said:
HEY! I got an update:

Do you know anything about the position of the mics?

@5t3f
AFAIK There is no Mesa Traditional 4x12 Redwirez cab. Do you mean the Mesa Recto 4x12 (Oversized)?

I did't use Redwirez but Recabinet impulses. They have a Mesa 4x12 standard in their library.

Clark Kent said:
Petrucci is using mics on the "cap edge"/"cone" touching the cab cloth.

What do you exactly mean by "cap edge/cone"? Does he put one mic on the cap edge and the other on the cone of the speaker?

Back
Top Bottom