Pedal calibration issue

You need to press enter after calibration... Once you finish the calibration process it should go to 10 (assuming you haven't set the modifier in some odd way).

I have the same issue with a dunlop expression pedal. If I plug an ev1 or ev2 in it’s fine and goes from 0 - 10 but the Dunlop falls short. Calibration makes no difference.

I have the same issue with a dunlop expression pedal. If I plug an ev1 or ev2 in it’s fine and goes from 0 - 10 but the Dunlop falls short. Calibration makes no difference.
I use two Dunlop (X) Mini pedals, in addition to two EV-2 pedals, and the Dunlop pedals calibrate and work very well.

You're doing something wrong. The whole point of calibration is to "scale" the sweep of the pedal to equal 0-100%.

You're doing something wrong. The whole point of calibration is to "scale" the sweep of the pedal to equal 0-100%.
So, I'm curious where you're coming from? Do you work for fractal or are you an end user like me? I just want to know if you have first hand knowledge or are these all your opinions...
I've been using one fractal product or another for 8 years now. Almost 1000 gigs with an FX8. I know how to calibrate an expression pedal. Theres no change when calibrating the Dunlop...
FWIW, Theres also no perceivable change in volume when unplugging the pedal and the volume block defaults to 10...

So, I'm curious where you're coming from? Do you work for fractal or are you an end user like me? I just want to know if you have first hand knowledge or are these all your opinions...
I've been using one fractal product or another for 8 years now. Almost 1000 gigs with an FX8. I know how to calibrate an expression pedal. Theres no change when calibrating the Dunlop...
FWIW, Theres also no perceivable change in volume when unplugging the pedal and the volume block defaults to 10...
@unix-guy is mortal, if that’s what you’re asking, however he’s also extremely knowledgeable.

Thanks. Was it good to go before calibration?
Before calibration? It worked, just not as well. After calibration the modifier picks up 0-10 corrrectly.

Since the EV pedals are working on your system and the Dunlop isn’t, I’d focus on its jack or any internal switches or adjustments. Which Dunlop pedal is it? The (X) Mini pedals have several adjustments that affect their use as an expression pedal, which are covered in the manual, and might be in common with yours.

@unix-guy is mortal, if that’s what you’re asking, however he’s also extremely knowledgeable.

Before calibration? It worked, just not as well. After calibration the modifier picks up 0-10 corrrectly.

Since the EV pedals are working on your system and the Dunlop isn’t, I’d focus on its jack or any internal switches or adjustments. Which Dunlop pedal is it? The (X) Mini pedals have several adjustments that affect their use as an expression pedal, which are covered in the manual, and might be in common with yours.
Thanks. Adjusting the internal trip pot did the trick. But calibrating through the FM9 doesn't change anything. Either way it's all good now. Thanks for the tip! It's a Dunlop X 8.

I'm coming from experience and knowledge. I've used Fractal products exclusively for almost 10 years and spend a lot of time here helping users with technical issues like this. I also have used expression pedals with other guitar gear for 30+ years.

The FM9 is not an FX-8. I didn't own an FX-8 but I did own multiple Axe Fx II units and I seem to recall the calibration process is a little different.

You must press enter after calibration. And the calibration is specifically designed to measure the range of the pedal sweep and scale it to be full. That is the ONLY purpose of the calibration.

I own probably 8 expression pedals and my rig uses 4. All of them reach about 9.3 or 9.4 without calibration. With calibration they perform exactly as expected.

Also, you need to perform calibration (again) if you use a different pedal in the same jack where you previously calibrated a different pedal, or if you're connecting a pedal to a jack it wasn't connected to before.

I see that you've solved your problem by adjusting the trim pot, but almost certainly all that did was get the pedal very close to the exact "ideal" sweep of values.

I'm coming from experience and knowledge. I've used Fractal products exclusively for almost 10 years and spend a lot of time here helping users with technical issues like this. I also have used expression pedals with other guitar gear for 30+ years.

The FM9 is not an FX-8. I didn't own an FX-8 but I did own multiple Axe Fx II units and I seem to recall the calibration process is a little different.

You must press enter after calibration. And the calibration is specifically designed to measure the range of the pedal sweep and scale it to be full. That is the ONLY purpose of the calibration.

I own probably 8 expression pedals and my rig uses 4. All of them reach about 9.3 or 9.4 without calibration. With calibration they perform exactly as expected.

Also, you need to perform calibration (again) if you use a different pedal in the same jack where you previously calibrated a different pedal, or if you're connecting a pedal to a jack it wasn't connected to before.

I see that you've solved your problem by adjusting the trim pot, but almost certainly all that did was get the pedal very close to the exact "ideal" sweep of values.
The FX8 has the same calibration procedure.

I did press enter... It's right there on the screen... Still no change in the upper sweep of the pedal. Starts at 0 and ended at 9.4.

Your comment earlier offered no suggestion or solution so it was unnecessary. Greg offered a suggestion that turned out to be a solution.

I look forward to you telling me what I'm doing wrong in the future!

The FX8 has the same calibration procedure.

I did press enter... It's right there on the screen... Still no change in the upper sweep of the pedal. Starts at 0 and ended at 9.4.

Your comment earlier offered no suggestion or solution so it was unnecessary. Greg offered a suggestion that turned out to be a solution.

I look forward to you telling me what I'm doing wrong in the future!
After reading the manual for that expression pedal (which I didn't have time to do when I originally replied) I can see that the pot isn't really a trim pot but rather a "minimum limit" control that by default affects the heel down position.

The manual says this is set to be fully off from the factory.

I'm assuming you you've also switched the polarity switch since it was affecting to toe down rather than heel down?

Based on this quote from the manual, I think I understand the reason:

• When the rocker is fully heel-down, the effect parameter will be at the minimum value as set by the internal potentiometer.

What I suspect this means is that when you put it fully into the applicable position (heel or toe down when polarity is swapped) that the value of the expression pot is not used at all but instead the value of the "limiting pot" is used instead.

This would explain what you encountered.

Apologies for my terse original response... I was in a rush and didn't look deeply enough.

You need to press enter after calibration... Once you finish the calibration process it should go to 10 (assuming you haven't set the modifier in some odd way).
Right on, I thought it wasn't calibrating all the way but it looks good now thank you!

Calibration tripped me up at first. I've interpreted the purpose as; to find the range of your pedal, then internally adjust so the FM9 (FAS device) reads it as 0-100. I tried at first to go through the whole range of my pedals (Ernie Ball and Mission SP) but never got the full sweep after calibrating. I had a thought (dangerous I know) and tried stopping the throw just short of heel down and toe down (@3%-95%) which solved my issue. All expression pedals with which I've used this method read 0-100% on any of my FAS devices.

**Don't forget to press <ENTER> when finished!!

Back
Top Bottom