PCM 70 and AXE III Stereo Question

Gregory Lauer

Greetings Hive Mind,

Looking into a PCM 70. Knowing its a mono input, are there some work arounds to using stereo effects with the PCM? Im wondering if I can route a stereo delay with some axe III reverb then in parallel have an output source connect to the PCM 70 then route back in to go to the amp and cab blocks?

Does this make any sense at all? Is this doable?

I'm not sure I'm following what you are trying to do, but I'm pretty sure you can do it. You have your guitar in IN 1, and let's say you're using OUT 1 as your main out. You have plenty of inputs and outputs left. Leaving the PCM out of the equation for a moment, can I assume you want an AxeFx chain something like Guitar --> IN 1 --> Amp block --> Cab block --> Stereo Delay block --> Reverb Block --> OUT 1. Is that correct? If so:

1) Where in this chain do you want to break the signal off and send it outboard to the PCM?
2) What do you want to do with the signal FROM the PCM? It sounds from your post like you want the signal from the PCM to go into the amp block? That's not a typical use of outboard verb, so let's make sure we understand your goals first.

Greetings Hive Mind,

Looking into a PCM 70. Knowing its a mono input, are there some work arounds to using stereo effects with the PCM? Im wondering if I can route a stereo delay with some axe III reverb then in parallel have an output source connect to the PCM 70 then route back in to go to the amp and cab blocks?

Does this make any sense at all? Is this doable?
you want the PCM70 to go before the amp?

Depending on what you want to do with the pcm, I would use it after the amp and cab. Just split the signal to a separate (mono) output in the axe, and back in on a separate input. Then have it come back in the signalchanin where you tapped it out.

I am thinking paralell here. So 100% mix on the pcm in that case.

That way you could have stereo reverbs coming from the pcm.

But due to the pcm, you only got one input (mono) so you should be careful with stereo FX running in front of it. As it can lead to phasing issues with the signal going to the reverb.

So here goes the signal path:

Guitar -> input 1
Shunt to amp and cab, split signal to 2 different rows.
Upper row goes to output 1
Lower row goes to output 3

Connect axe output 3 L to the input of the pcm. Connect pcm output l and r to axe input 3 l and r.

Place input 3 on lower row on the grid in the axe FX. And put a shunt back up to the upper row. So that both signals go to output 1.

Sorry if I am bad at explaining.

I reread your initial post. And what you state is to have the PCM in front of the amp and cab. While this can produce some signature fx, i would hold my horses buying one to test it. While you potentially could get some really out there fx, most of what it can do is already possible in the axe, so i would rather take some time playing with the grid in the unit.
I know some guitarists that use both chorus, delay and reverb in front of the amp, but its not that useful because the amp will colour and/or distort everything that passes through it, depending on your amp choice and tone. The pcm 70 is mainly delays and reverbs, and to have those running through the amp is rarely the most pleasant sounding types of effects.

That being said, I have actually had some success with a short delay with one repeat in front of a distorted amp. Gives kind of a cool rythmic effect. And i got to mention that a short delay in front of the amp is also a very common Country guitar trick.

If i understand what you are writing, you want to tap the signal before the amp and insert the pcm in paralell before the amp? Is that correct?

Sort of off-track here, but I’ve had loads of experience using PCM70 (both live and studio) and I’m wondering why you’d want to use it with an AFX3? Trying to think of something the 70 does that the AFX3 doesn’t do at least as good if not better… and I can’t.

Back
Top Bottom