Paul Gilbert Slide Magnet Holder

Jipps0525

Power User
Starts at 4:02 on the video

this possible to do without having to
Buy one of his signature guitars? Any other alternatives or solutions? It’s a solid idea to be able to have the slide right there lol

you can get magnet tape, you can just stick on a guitar, should be enough to hold it, maybe a couple strips.

you can get magnet tape, you can just stick on a guitar, should be enough to hold it, maybe a couple strips.
The magnet tape I've experienced only has enough strength to hold small, light items to the refrigerator. I don't think it's good enough for a slide...

You'd need a strong magnet to be useful here, I think.

Stick a neodymium magnet onto your guitar...
I have a stack of them stuck to my desk's pen holder and they're extremely strong. Even the little ones that are embedded in display boxes and glasses cases are really strong; I dig them out and reuse them before tossing the boxes.

The one that's the most fun is in the iPad covers that lock to the frame of an iPad. I wore out two covers and cut off the bar magnets and they're really hard to get it off the refrigerator.

Sticking the magnet to the guitar might be an interesting exercise though. Maybe some Dual Lock… :)

Or just get one of these:
https://reverb.com/p/right-on-straps-slide-holder-slash-harmonica-pouch

I have one it works great for either metal or glass. It sits sideways on my strap at my chest. Easy to slip my fret hand ring finger into my slide when needed one handed. A little harder to get off one handed but still doable if your slide isn't too tight.

There's a Hollywood magnetic version too but it seems a little pricey at $55. I suppose you can clamp it either on your strap sideways or your belt:
https://www.anthologygearwear.com/collections/slide-holders

Or just get one of these:
https://reverb.com/p/right-on-straps-slide-holder-slash-harmonica-pouch

I have one it works great for either metal or glass. It sits sideways on my strap at my chest. Easy to slip my fret hand ring finger into my slide when needed one handed. A little harder to get off one handed but still doable if your slide isn't too tight.

There's a Hollywood magnetic version too but it seems a little pricey at $55. I suppose you can clamp it either on your strap sideways or your belt:
https://www.anthologygearwear.com/collections/slide-holders
Where do you put this on your strap? Hopefully in the back like a samurai sword

I have a stack of them stuck to my desk's pen holder and they're extremely strong. Even the little ones that are embedded in display boxes and glasses cases are really strong; I dig them out and reuse them before tossing the boxes.

The one that's the most fun is in the iPad covers that lock to the frame of an iPad. I wore out two covers and cut off the bar magnets and they're really hard to get it off the refrigerator.

Sticking the magnet to the guitar might be an interesting exercise though. Maybe some Dual Lock… :)
How do they get the magnet to stay in place on Gilbert’s guitars? He said it’s under the pickguard so do they build the pickguard that way?

How do they get the magnet to stay in place on Gilbert’s guitars? He said it’s under the pickguard so do they build the pickguard that way?
I’m not familiar with his guitar, but often there’s a routed space for wires, or enough of a gap to place a magnet, otherwise it’d be easier for a repairman to route a spot the size of a quarter and glue in the magnet. It could be done on the side of the guitar’s headstock too.

Keep those magnets away from your pickups and strings though.

LOL - no then I would drop it for sure! I'm a righty so left side on my strap about nip level with hole facing left. Makes it really easy to move hand from neck a quick motion to chest, slide your finger in and pull - then make sweet slidy noises ...

Describing how I put it back would sound even more x-rated. :)

I’m not familiar with his guitar, but often there’s a routed space for wires, or enough of a gap to place a magnet, otherwise it’d be easier for a repairman to route a spot the size of a quarter and glue in the magnet. It could be done on the side of the guitar’s headstock too.

Keep those magnets away from your pickups and strings though.
I think Steve Vai's got magnets on the back of the headstock on a few guitars for this use case.

So this guitar doesnt have a pickguard... Is it really as simple as something as a strong adhesive and Neodym... magnet?

Attachments

• 56228.jpg
    56228.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom