Passive Atomic Reactor??

As most of you probably know I just recently got an Axe FX and I think I'm starting to get the hang of things and make some pretty good tones. Right now I'm running it through a Carvin DCM200 and Genz Benz Gflex cab but I'm not completely satisfied. I'm thinking to get the most out of this thing I'm going to need a flat response monitor and not a guitar cab. So I've been looking into the atomic reactor since I just bought the Axe FX and already have a power amp I can't really afford to spend $850 on the powered AR but for $350 I could get a passive one. I just wanted to hear some opinions on how that would work and sound if I used my Axe FX through the passive AR with my power amp?

Sounds like a good idea to me! Like you I also have a DCM-200 I run mine through a 2x12 Mesa Recto cab and it sounds awesome! But you are right-- we are loosing the advantage of using the cab sims. I have no complaints with my DCM-200 so I think a passive cabinet would be a good way to go. Might do it myself by August.

Strat-O-Matic said:
Since you have a very similar set up to mine do you have to use the parametric eq to cut out fizzyness from the distorted tones?
Never really have the gain high enough to enter the fizz zone, but if I do want to push it a bit like to use a drive in front of the amp. Still, like the PEQ for shaping especially with the models I use as my core sound which is basically the USA models. More or less emulating my Mesa Mark IV. I find when I first got the Axe Fx (a little over a year now) very easy to overindulge with the gain since there seems to be more on tap. And especially some of the high gain models.

Strat-O-Matic said:
I'm not completely satisfied. I'm thinking to get the most out of this thing I'm going to need a flat response monitor and not a guitar cab.

That would depend on what you are trying to achieve. IMHO, if you can't get stellar sounds from the PA/cab, FRFR is not going to be a magic bullet. Judging from the posts I've seen here, far more FRFR users seem to be always looking for some "missing ingredient," few PA/cab users complain for the most part. I've used the Ultra for more than 2 years now, I can be happy with FRFR and it's convenient for many gigs but for the onstage tone and feel the PA/cab is as close as you can get to using a real amp.

Back
Top Bottom