Parametric EQ, Illiminating Frequency's not necessary

I may be losing dynamics and attack(punch) in the power amp due to amplified freq. from the AxeFX that you can´t hear (frequencies that aren´t necessary for the sound). I want to use a parametric EQ Block.

Can anyone tell me how to do the following: Cut the freq.below 60Hz and above 5kHz-6kHz.

What would be the settings/ and where in the PEQ can I do this? It will be the last block in the chain.

Thanks !

In the PEQ you are looking at Freq 1 (for 60hz) and Freq 5 (for 5000-6000hz) if you want to cut completely then set type to blocking and freq to the desired setting. If you just want to lower those frequencies then set type to shelving and gain to a negative value and adjust freq to taste.

If you search then there is a great guide that Radley did that has more info on the PEQ in the main forum.

jlagana2002 said:
I may be losing dynamics and attack(punch) in the power amp due to amplified freq. from the AxeFX that you can´t hear (frequencies that aren´t necessary for the sound).
That is extremely unlikely.

Can anyone tell me how to do the following: Cut the freq.below 60Hz and above 5kHz-6kHz.
Set "type" for filters 1 and 5 in the PEQ block to "blocking" and choose the appropriate frequencies.

Try this too.

Drop the PEQ right after your cab. Set it for band 1 blocking at 110hz at .707Q. Then on band 5 set it for blocking at 7500hz at .707Q.

IMHO, my method works. You'll lose no punch on the low end. YMMV. Adjust to taste (for Vintage 30 based IR's, I block at 120hz). Smaller cabs/speakers require, IMHO, higher hertz settings on band 1 and lower hertz settings on band 5. I don't boost frequencies by raising the Q too much, ala Radley. I prefer the PEQ right after the cab and before a lot of the other blocks like delay and reverb.

Just my riff on what Radley's doing. I do it slightly differently. Try different settings to see what you like.

I feel the PEQ after the cab IR is one of the most effective and efficient ways to start pushing the Axe-FX past what is done with conventional rigs. If you look at any good mixer's settings on the guitars on live or recorded tones, you'll see a low-cut and a high-cut. It's how you make mixes work, nothing new or flashy about it.

It's just that to most guitarists, it's a very new concept.

Excellent ! Thanks guys. That's why I ask.

Jay Mitchell said:
That is extremely unlikely.
Well, maybe it's not a matter of what the Axe is putting out. I am still learning, someone gave me advice on this and thats why I'm asking you guys.

Maybe cutting frequencies that don't complement my cabinets or my ear is a better way to approach the issue.

I am starting to get into this tone shaping thing.

Scott Peterson said:
If you look at any good mixer's settings on the guitars on live or recorded tones, you'll see a low-cut and a high-cut. It's how you make mixes work, nothing new or flashy about it.

I haven't done any studio work so I can't vouch for that side of it, but live, yeah, *everything* except maybe kick & bass has a high-pass filter on it. It saves the subs and woofers. On most instruments there's nothing down there, so why bother amplifying stage rumble?

Back
Top Bottom