Paint Audio MIDI Captain controller

tubelessone

Inspired
Hey everyone, I downgraded/upgraded from AX8 to FM3 and of course I struggled with the 3 buttons, so like most of you it was time to add extra switches via midi.
Since I'm a cheap bastard I didn't want to get the 2, 3, 400-dollar ones which I know would have made my life easier. I found this Paint Audio MIDI Captain, looks like a hardware clone of the MeloAudio. 10 buttons allows me to use two for tuner/tap, and the rest, 8 scenes. I'll be changing presets on the actual FM3. 159 on AMZ with a coupon there right now. I configured it and wanted to post if anyone wants a copy of the config files that give me this layout, let me know. To make it do what I wanted to do, I had to do what they called 'deep setup mode' where you plug it into a computer via usb and edit the config files manually. It's a slight hassle so I want to help the next guy get it done. It was my first time using MIDI in a rig!

I will be testing it this weekend at a show. So far at home it works great.

1677786036189.png

I could not have done this without @2112 YT video on the Airstep config. Thanks Leon!

Hi @tubelessone! I just got my MIDI Captain and found your post here. Can share your config files pls for the FM3?

Thank you!
Good morning, I am going to attach the backup folder from my Midi Captain I took. If I recall, it's just a backup of everything off the root folder when you connect to the unit via USB (deep setup mode section 7 in the manual). You should get a copy off that from your device for your own safety. I think the files you'll need are from the \setup folder, specifically Globalsetup1.txt and the preset1 folder.
If you want to copy over only those, that should work. If you are not sure or not handy, you can always just copy the whole thing and overwrite the existing file structure (provided of course you took that backup for yourself so you can go back in time if needed).

I made some notes for myself here, I chose cc numbers 10, 11, 12 on the FM3.
@2112 chose different numbers but you follow his instructions here:

1689696014159.png

Here's a dropbox link to the zipped root folder backup. Let me know when you get it so I can delete the link.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ctscnms10yplvj3/AABRBleqAorqOXAsbEqHXcFLa?dl=0

One thing I had noticed is the tap tempo didn't work quite well. I don't have the FM3 anymore but my theory is that I had the setting on the Fractal for average instead of first two. You should check that and change to first two.

Hope this helps, have fun!

I also now have the PaintAudio Midi Captain and it works out of the box with an FM3 in 'normal mode'. Of course the footswitches have been programmed for the more standard type(?) of use case. However you can re-program the FSWs to any midi feature that is available on the FM3 both in 'normal mode' and 'geek mode'. But in 'geek mode' you can program directly from the unit itself instead of from a computer interface. Plus you have 16 banks of 8 ft switches each that can be programed in midi. It is extremely versatile. The only drawback that I have encountered is that there is a small display for programing on the unit but the foot switches themselves have no display. So you have to remember what each ft switch actually has been programmed for. In actual use, I have only 2 banks (16 switches) programed for a pedal board. One bank for an RC-500 looper and one for an HX Stomp that I use for a looping setup. I also have an FM9 that replaced my FM3 but have not used the midi captain for that unit.

Yes it works fine. You need to get into USB mode and put the commands in the txt files for the commands you want. When I get home I'll post a couple of images off the txt files

Back
Top Bottom