Ownhammer experts ... need advice and help on my selections

vejichan

Inspired
I am new to Ownhammer irs. i have an axe fx and have bought already the following (r)Evolution Debut Bundle. Which includes
1971 marshall BW 4x12 cab , 1970 marshall 1960b CB 4x12 cab and mesa trad 4x12 and other cab ir.

I am thinking about buying the following packs. Please advise if any of them are too similar and maybe a redundant purchase from what i have already.
Please advise and maybe make suggestions.. i play progressive metal music (Petrucci/Killswitch) 80's shred(white lion, winger and george lynch)

-412 ZLCS V30 MMMC
-412 EDVH
-412 FMAN Bundle
-412 RECT Bundle
-412 MAR-CB GB-M25
-California Duo
-Heavy Hitters Collection- Vol 1
-Heavy Hitters Collection - Vol 2
-412 MRBW GNR M25 MMMC

I went thru the entire Ownhammer catalog and those are the ones i like but i am not sure if i'm just throwing money away because i might be buying similar items . Please let me know. thank you

If you like to go through lots of IR's in search of that tone, go for it. I think the cab packs you already have should get you the tones you want for the music examples you posted. The 1960B will cover a lot of hair metal. the mesa will cover progressive.

To be honest, between that Revolution pack and the roughly 2,000 built-in factory IRs, many of them from the same respected third party makers you're probably looking at, you already have a lot of useful choices. I'd suggest living with those for a while, and if more or different IRs seems like an important missing piece, revisit this question

If you like to go through lots of IR's in search of that tone, go for it. I think the cab packs you already have should get you the tones you want for the music examples you posted. The 1960B will cover a lot of hair metal. the mesa will cover progressive.
Which one is the 1960b?

Looks obvious from the original cab list posted here, but less so looking at the list for that actual pack. There are 2 Marshall 412s in it, neither one labeled that way. Would have to look more closely at the docs than I'm about to do right now.

And just to say it, there are a number of other makers that have cool stuff for high gain. Check out ML Sound Labs, York Audio, and others.

I have the same pack. I was new at buying ir’a at the time too but not new to the axe. That meant I had done a lot of experimenting. I was a bit overwhelmed with the pack and so many options to choose from. I contacted them and Jon was very helpful. I’d advise you to contact him with your questions.

Harm

I am new to Ownhammer irs. i have an axe fx and have bought already the following (r)Evolution Debut Bundle. Which includes
1971 marshall BW 4x12 cab , 1970 marshall 1960b CB 4x12 cab and mesa trad 4x12 and other cab ir.

I am thinking about buying the following packs. Please advise if any of them are too similar and maybe a redundant purchase from what i have already.
Please advise and maybe make suggestions.. i play progressive metal music (Petrucci/Killswitch) 80's shred(white lion, winger and george lynch)

-412 ZLCS V30 MMMC
-412 EDVH
-412 FMAN Bundle
-412 RECT Bundle
-412 MAR-CB GB-M25
-California Duo
-Heavy Hitters Collection- Vol 1
-Heavy Hitters Collection - Vol 2
-412 MRBW GNR M25 MMMC

I went thru the entire Ownhammer catalog and those are the ones i like but i am not sure if i'm just throwing money away because i might be buying similar items . Please let me know. thank you

I know it's inconvenient, but there's no one answer to that question, it depends on so many things -- your instruments, the amps you pick, your playing touch, and most of all, what you want to hear.

That's the problem, you really can't know how a pack will work for you until you try it.

I know it's inconvenient, but there's no one answer to that question, it depends on so many things -- your instruments, the amps you pick, your playing touch, and most of all, what you want to hear.

That's the problem, you really can't know how a pack will work for you until you try it.

I play suhr moderns/anderson drop tops with high output humbuckers
i play 6160 /5150 sims
i suck but my playing touch is medium to light
i want to hear 80s (white lion/winger/george lynch) & progressive metal (petrucci/killswitch/periphery)

unfortunately i cannot try unless i buy? so i would rather get recommendations from people.
it would save me time and money. Thank you
please let me know which packs to get

I have the GNR M25 and the CB-GB M25 packs, my personal choice out of the two is the GNR, though both are good. I had the CB-GB pack for a while before the GNR pack, and was happy with that, but when the GNR pack came out, I found them more pleasing to my taste, and easier to dial presets (the CB pack seemed more boomy with more bass response in comparison).

You also have more choice with the GNR pack, and have options of GNR, MED and RAW voicings (read the description). If you only buy one of these packs, I would recommend the GNR.

Heavy hitters packs should get you there to be honest. My personal fav is the OH1F irs. Try those with a few of your presets and see how you get on.

Back
Top Bottom