Output level knobs

LCW

What’s the preferred approach on the physical output level knobs on the FM9? Dimed? Half way? Doesn’t matter?

Doesn't really matter, there is no tonal impact at the outputs. That said, I like to run Out 1 at 60%, provides plenty of volume at home as well as live. I like having the extra headroom in case there's a new guy on the board. I also use the Preset Leveling tool and adjust presets so they're barely tickling the red at their loudest.

What’s the preferred approach on the physical output level knobs on the FM9? Dimed? Half way? Doesn’t matter?
P. 27 in the manual …
“When you test any new setup always proceed slowly with all level knobs turned all the way down.”

I always turn down the Out knobs to 0, make sure the modeler and everything downstream from it is off, confirm my cabinet volumes are at 50%, then power on the modeler, wait until it has booted, then power up my cabinets, THEN hit a chord on the guitar and slowly turn up the Out knobs until it is the volume I want. In general they end up around 50% too.

Application will determine where you need to set it.

Some mixing consoles don't like a lot of signal or don't have any padding at the input. I have an instance where I run into a Yamaha TF3 and with the OP knob at noon it's too hot when compared to the rest of the inputs so I run it it 9 O'clock no problems!.

Some monitors will have a peak indicator light to let you know when you're input is too hot some don't so you'll want to error to the side of caution and do as the manual says.

Doesn't really matter, there is no tonal impact at the outputs. That said, I like to run Out 1 at 60%, provides plenty of volume at home as well as live. I like having the extra headroom in case there's a new guy on the board. I also use the Preset Leveling tool and adjust presets so they're barely tickling the red at their loudest.
What is this ‘preset leveling tool’. I’ve done something similar to this in the global setup I/O section. Didn’t know something similar at preset level.

Back
Top Bottom