Output 1 level: -10 v +4

I just recently realized that the default for this is -10db. It annoyed me that I'd have to crank up the output 1 level knob to get decent volume on my 400 watt FRFR. The manual says: " Output 1 defaults to -10 dBV, a lower level “consumer” format. Change this to +4 dBu when connecting to pro audio equipment. Find this setting under SETUP: I/O: Audio. " Can someone explain what consumer v. pro audio is? I have Yamaha HS5 monitors and a Laney FRFR 112. Thanks.

the default used to be +4 but so many customers got clipping on their next device. (I think it’s because they turned up out 1 all the way as well.)

so the default was changed to the lower output level to prevent that.

in my experience, on most devices, I could use either setting and adjust the out knob appropriately. To me, it just sets a range of level/output to work with. There’s no tone change or any other negative.

Isn’t -10 instrument level and +4 line level?

So essentially, unless you’re going into the front end of an amp, you should set it to +4.
Nope...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level
The most common nominal level for professional equipment is +4 dBu (by convention, decibel values are written with an explicit sign symbol). For consumer equipment it is −10 dBV, which is used to reduce manufacturing costs.

What is the correct value for headphone? I hear a fuller sound changing from -10db to +4db
chances are you hear a louder sound, which can sound "fuller" when speakers are that close to your ears and naturally compressing you ear drum. you will most likely get the same result simply turning up the Out knob when set to -10dB.

Back
Top Bottom