Output 1 for stage cabs and output 2 out to FOH?

chris alia

Hi there everybody just wondering, I am Running out to power amp and cabs on stage, so do I have to run output 1 to FOH or if I can run output 2 just as well with cab block added? Thanks..

If you haven't reviewed Section 4 in the manual, I'd start there. You can decide where Out 1 or 2 are directed, and the examples in Section 4 will help you decide.

The only two differences between running Out 1 or Out 2 might help make your choice as to which is cabs and which is FOH: Out 1 has both XLR and 1/4” humbuster jacks. The humbuster jacks may make it easier for you to plug into an unbalanced 1/4” input on a guitar power amp; if you’re power amp inputs are balanced then you could use either Output with an XLR to balanced 1/4” adapter.

Second, currently only Output 1 is “copyable” to outputs 2-4. So if for some reason you wanted an output signal with an IR going to multiple Outputs on many patches, you could set this in the global settings without having to add those Output blocks to every preset.

Each of the above scenarios depends on your goal, your equipment, and any additional physical routing options you may want.

FWIW, I send output 1 to FOH, Output 2 to my own iem monitor mixer, and output 4 (with humbuster 1/4” jacks) to my Fryette power amp. My patches only have Output 1 on the grid and I copy 1 to 2 in the global settings. (Output 3 is for external effects).

currently only Output 1 is “copyable” to outputs 2-4
For clarity…

Using the global settings, only Output 2 can copy Output 1.

IMG_0020.jpeg

and Outputs 3 and 4 can only copy Input 1.

IMG_0019.jpeg

From the grid we can route signal differently and can even chain Out 1 -> Out 2 -> Out 3 -> Out 4 if we want, which gives them all the same signal as Out 1, overriding the global settings.

I prefer Output 1 to onstage monitoring for one simple reason: it’s easier to find the volume knob on the front panel because it’s at the begin of the row.

I prefer to use Output 1 for FOH, and Output 2 for my own FRFR stage monitoring. Some good reasons for selecting which way around have already been presented by others, but for me it's access to the headphone output on the front of the unit. I can sort out my own FRFR EQ on stage, but if I ever come up against an issue with what I am sending to FOH, it's generally tough to get out front and have a listen.

Using Output 1 means I can at least plug in a pair of headphones and hear what I am sending to the desk. I also use this when setting up presets I am expecting to use live, often comparing the headphone sound to my studio monitors or PA speakers. My own Output 2 FRFR monitoring is kind of secondary, and really for my ears. The audience will get to hear Output 1.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom