Output 1 & 2 config. question

Deltones said:
javajunkie said:
Deltones said:
Javajunkie,

I was looking at the layout of Bank-A in the editor. Basically all of the patches have the majority of the effect blocks after the cabinet. Now, according to your previous post, it shouldn't make a difference sonically, but if the loop block needs to be before the cab block when using a real cab connected to a poweramp, it means that none of the patches are usable in their present state. The majority of the blocks making the patch will not be heard at all. Kind of a big difference sonically no? :mrgreen:

Is there something I'm not seeing here? To use output 1 (full patch) and 2 (cab block bypassed via loop block), it means that if you want to play bank patches for direct recording and with full monitoring with cab+poweramp, all patches would need to be redone right?

Basically, it looks you don't have the choice but to have the cab block last in the chain if you want to use output 1 and 2 at the same time.

That is exactly what it means. The good part is usually it will make little or no difference in tone.

Hmmm... Then I wonder why the presets were not constructed that way, i.e. with the cab block last on the chain. Oh well, not that complicated to change anyway.

I think the presets were initially built to model the way things might work in a studio (where you might have your guitar amp and cab mic'ed, fed into the console, and post-processed with effects). Either way, it's a moot point because it sounds the same (except for the cases discussed before).

It used to drive me nuts because I was using the loop to feed into my real guitar amp and real guitar cabinet. Therefore I spent countless hours modifying the factory presets (to move the cab model to the end of the chain, and introduce the loop block before it so I could feed into my amp). Every time there was a change to the factory presets, all that work was lost (and had to be redone). Worse still, most presets on AxeChange were also built the same way, with effects *after* the cab block, and I could not even audition them without doing significant work. That used to be a constant irritant for me. Especially since I knew it was supposed to sound the same (then why not make it easier for folks who use a real amp and cab?!???)

Since then, I have switched to FRFR and I don't care anymore. If the factory presets were changed to have the cab block at the end of the chain, it wouldn't affect me (but it would make life easier for users of real amps and cabs). There may be other reasons to have the cab block before the effects in the factory presets (in addition to what I speculated in my first paragraph), so perhaps someone else will add to this. If there is not a good reason, then I think it would be an overall improvement to change the factory presets to more easily accommodate *both* types of usage (FRFR *and* real amp/cab).

Cheers,
Daniel

javajunkie said:
claudel said:
I'm a bit slow to grasp this as well..

Will placing the loop in the patch like this:

axe-patch.jpg

route the unprocessed signal to the second outputs as well as through the chain to the first, or is a clear row needed?

TIA

If you put a loop block anywhere in the chain it will send the output from that point to output 2. If it is in series w/ other effects, it will pass the signal on down. So the simple answer is second as well as first.

Cool, now all I need to do is figure out how to do SPDIF <> iMac successfully or how to stack Duets.

Back
Top Bottom