Out 3 not Unity gain suddenly

elvis

Experienced
I've been using the FM9 for a long time with real amps in loop 3. Lately I've noticed a distinct lack of gain from the amps. I've traced it to a significant level drop coming from OUT3. I have the output knob all the way up, checked all the settings, and can't find anything off.

Has there been any change to the OUT3 path? I can run IN1->OUT3 in the FM9 and get this issue. I'm using presets I'd been using forever.

I just built a pedalboard preset this morning for running into the front of one of my amps, output 3 is working the same as always with mine. I’m on current firmware.

There have been no changes related to Out 3.

You can test that OUT 3 by using a patch cord to jumper Out 3 to In 3.
Using a preset like this one, use Mixer balance controls to route the top path to Out 1 L and the bottom path to Out 1 R.
Turn the Out 3 knob all the way up.
Play and watch the meters on the Home > Meters page.

1722457502049.png

PS: Out 3 also has a global EQ. Is that flat including its level control?

Thanks, super helpful! I will try this and see what happens. I'm concerned that I've got a damaged FM9.

There have been no changes related to Out 3.

You can test that OUT 3 by using a patch cord to jumper Out 3 to In 3.
Using a preset like this one, use Mixer balance controls to route the top path to Out 1 L and the bottom path to Out 1 R.
Turn the Out 3 knob all the way up.
Play and watch the meters on the Home > Meters page.

View attachment 143430

PS: Out 3 also has a global EQ. Is that flat including its level control?
Yes, global EQ is unity across the board.
I do notice that the OUT3 meter does not follow the IN1 meter exactly, particularly for peaks, though it is in the ballpark.

OK, direct signal (lower shunt path) is much louder than the patch cable path in my monitors. Also loop 3 level much lower than INST, but I imagine the meter levels are not related between channels.

I notice that turning the OUT3 knob affects both the meter and the audible level in my monitor, but at max it's still low compared to the direct channel.

Meters:
Soft Meters.jpg
LED Meters.jpg
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 3.19.58 PM.png

The meters show that the level at Out 1 R is quite close to Out 1 L. How does that sound in headphones?

What if you replace Out1 with Out 2 on the grid and connect that to your monitors?

OK, direct signal (lower shunt path) is much louder than the patch cable path in my monitors. Also loop 3 level much lower than INST, but I imagine the meter levels are not related between channels.

I notice that turning the OUT3 knob affects both the meter and the audible level in my monitor, but at max it's still low compared to the direct channel.

Meters:

Those meter readings don't look right at all. I'd guess your Input Gain parameter is turned down, I mean like all the way down. Also, if you haven't already done so, try a reboot.

The meters show that the level at Out 1 R is quite close to Out 1 L. How does that sound in headphones?

What if you replace Out1 with Out 2 on the grid and connect that to your monitors?
Same result with OUT2 and Headphones. Reducing the row 3 mix to about 60% evens up the levels, so it's a 3-4dB difference.

Those meter readings don't look right at all. I'd guess your Input Gain parameter is turned down, I mean like all the way down. Also, if you haven't already done so, try a reboot.
Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 5.10.57 PM.png

Have rebooted MANY times. This has been going on for a few weeks.

The meters flicker a LOT, and move quite a bit relative to each other, so L vs. R can be >, <, or = at any given moment.

That is a reboot... Factory reset, or at least resetting system settings.

Also, you reacted to this post but didn't reply. It's a serious possibility:
Thanks! Time to do some more reset-y things I think.

For the cable, I have actually used several cables and divide-and-conquer to narrow down where exactly the issue is coming from. I can say for sure that it's in the part of the FM9 between Instrument Input and Out3. Given the fact that the signal is larger when using the internal path to OUT1 (and OUT2) in the above experiment it seems to be in the OUT3 section.

Running a cable from guitar straight to amp input, and also from my wireless receiver straight to guitar input, I have more level to amp than when running the same cables to Inst Input and then OUT3 to amp input. Also went to my barely-used mogami "in case of emergency" cable.

Reset the system settings, no luck. Moved from FW6 to FW7, no luck. Though my trusty AC30TB has WAY more gain and bottom now. Don't love that.

Went back to FW6.0, definitely a HUGE difference for AC20 and AC30, which I use 90% of the time in my band. Plexi was not affected much, if at all.

Back
Top Bottom