Opinions on FM3 vs FM9

FXFanatic1!

Inspired
Just curious to hear from others what you like the most about the FM9 vs. the FM3. What I like are the additional switches and CPU power.

Last edited:
Price and form-factor vs extra foot switches, connectivity and processing power. So far, the FM3 is doing it for me.

I have an FM3 and FC6 so the FM9 would be perfect for me - but I'm holding off as I really don't need it as I am not limited with anything I use it for. Maybe someday. Who am I kidding, of course I'll update at some point!

I personally like the extra size of the FM9. Considering I used the 3 with an FC6, and being used to the FC12 with the AxeFXIII, there really is not much of a difference. The improved CPU and I/O is something I need.

The FM9 still doesn't have enough buttons. The problem with so few switches is multiple for me. I like to keep things super retard simple. Cause when you're on a dark stage it's very easy to hit the wrong button, pass banks, ect. Recovery time is everything live. I like to have 2 dedicated buttons just for banking up and down. 1 button just for tuning and-or a mute. You see the problem now?.. Cause there just went 3 buttons. I also like to have a dedicated acoustic patch. I generally keep 2 solo patches, one clean one dirty. I like having the whole set in front of me if possible. When doing covers, I don't wanna bank till mid set if possible. Start adding those synth tones for intros and extros, or wahs and you're banking like a bitch. F that.. I've covered most of how I like things with an FM12 to my FM3. I have a little breathing room to add tones, but that will go fast. I would never bank or scene if I never had too. Especially live. I would also buy the Kemper Stage before I bought an FM9. I don't feel Fractal put much effort in the FM3 or FM9. Buttons matter! They matter a lot!

Last edited:
Has anyone gone from FM3 to FM9?
Do you FM3 users run into CPU limits often? I’m coming from an abelton rig running 2 amps and loads of processing. Sending to multiple delays and other plug-in channels.
Maybe the quality of an Fm3 would reduce my need for plugins and fattening my sound?
Or is it FM9 necessary for users of intensity?
I understand the vagueness of this question but thought fitting for this thread.

Has anyone gone from FM3 to FM9?
Do you FM3 users run into CPU limits often? I’m coming from an abelton rig running 2 amps and loads of processing. Sending to multiple delays and other plug-in channels.
Maybe the quality of an Fm3 would reduce my need for plugins and fattening my sound?
Or is it FM9 necessary for users of intensity?
I understand the vagueness of this question but thought fitting for this thread.
@la noise

I went from FM3 to FM9.

The IO for me is a big upgrade. I'm to able to reamp pretty seamlessly though spdif and an external interface.

There's also the auto impedance if you care for that sort of thing.

Dual Amp has been pretty useful as well. Bass gives me more flexibility. I feel like I have plenty more headroom for effects on a chain and don't have to worry about the reverb quality. I do wish the CPU load distribution was a little smarter (more compute for when not using dual Amp or dedicated reverb core), but otherwise it's a nice upgrade. Curbs my need for the AXE FX 3.

The FM9 still doesn't have enough buttons. The problem with so few switches is multiple for me. I like to keep things super retard simple. Cause when you're on a dark stage it's very easy to hit the wrong button, pass banks, ect. Recovery time is everything live. I like to have 2 dedicated buttons just for banking up and down. 1 button just for tuning and-or a mute. You see the problem now?.. Cause there just went 3 buttons.
Add an Expression IO and move those off the main board. I have one under my pedalboard, and it works great. Just set your MIDI settings to listen the appropriate CC numbers for bank up, bank down, and tuning/mute. I moved tap tempo off of my FM9 and gained a button. The little LED is fine to see the tempo blink....

I do wish the CPU load distribution was a little smarter (more compute for when not using dual Amp or dedicated reverb core),
I have had the same thought. I rarely if ever use reverb, ( basically just in my 3 am headphone patches) but do utilize dual amps, lots of delays, pitch effects, filters etc. I've hit the wall in my FM9 before, and just picture a whole core sitting there wasting away waiting on me to feed it some reverb.

I'm still debating the switch myself. There are four major considerations that make me want the FM9:
  • CPU: My main presets are all pushing the 80% limit. And I often want to add a little more, but end up having to make a variation on the preset to get what I need. More power would be a a pretty big upgrade for me.
  • More buttons: Right now I have a Mosky to get all of the functionality I need in a performance. I'd prefer to have the Fractal buttons and the Mosky eats up a pedal input which I'd prefer to use for another expression pedal.
  • More IO. This is related to the above. I would REALLY like to have at least two expression pedals going, but also need the extra switch capability so have had to sacrifice this. I'd actually probably run 3 expression pedals if I picked up an FM9.
  • Two amp blocks: This is less of an issue for me, but would be nice. I don't use two at a time, but have found that switching between amps via channels does not sound seamless. It's not horrible, but I hear it enough that it makes me not use that approach.
Like others I really dig the small foot print of the FM3, but I don't feel like the FM9 would be a hassle for me. Not sure though.

The last consideration is that I'm starting to line up a number of gigs (I have not gigged with it yet but have done a large number of "live" rehearsals). The FM3 has never failed for me, but I am concerned about not having a back-up. If I picked up an FM9, I'd hang on to the FM3 for my back up.

Back
Top Bottom