Opeth?

BairdM3

I know someone here must be a fan and has a great patch...anyone? I "think" Mikael is using a Laney GH100 clean and a BOSS Gt-8 for drive and effects when playing live...I've come close but still haven't nailed it...

Personally I never tried to get that tone because it's just a cheap Boss GT pedal which I've learned to hate for anything else than effects. :) If there's something good in their tone then it's got to be due to PRS and Laney. Laney is a british voiced amp right? You could probably get tones that sound close with a boosted Marshall/Vox. IMO the good part in their sound is the acoustic/clean side which has lots of mids.

Clark Kent said:
Personally I never tried to get that tone because it's just a cheap Boss GT pedal which I've learned to hate for anything else than effects. :) If there's something good in their tone then it's got to be due to PRS and Laney. Laney is a british voiced amp right? You could probably get tones that sound close with a boosted Marshall/Vox. IMO the good part in their sound is the acoustic/clean side which has lots of mids.

Haha, I guess I should have been more specific...only trying to match their tone to play their music, not because they've got great tone- I'm in agreement with you

What amp are you using for it currently? If I were to put together an Opeth patch, I'd probably start with a Hiwatt. There might be a better amp in there for copping a Laney sound, but Hiwatt is what strikes me first.

Tom said:
What amp are you using for it currently? If I were to put together an Opeth patch, I'd probably start with a Hiwatt. There might be a better amp in there for copping a Laney sound, but Hiwatt is what strikes me first.

You know, I didn't even think of the Hiwatt- I'll give it a try-thanks!

If you're after the ghost reveries tone (my favourite) use a recto - believe it or not the primary pair of guitars was tracked with a dual rectifier through a Marshall cab loaded with G12K100s w/ a sm57 and a royer 121 ribbon mic.

The primary pair on watershed was done with a marshall JVM through a recto cab. same mics... maybe a 421 thrown in, but not sure about that.

I think previous albums were done with laneys and rectos in the studio.

hsnyder said:
If you're after the ghost reveries tone (my favourite) use a recto - believe it or not the primary pair of guitars was tracked with a dual rectifier through a Marshall cab loaded with G12K100s w/ a sm57 and a royer 121 ribbon mic.

The primary pair on watershed was done with a marshall JVM through a recto cab. same mics... maybe a 421 thrown in, but not sure about that.

I think previous albums were done with laneys and rectos in the studio.

The amps they used on the records are listed on their website. The Laneys didnt start until Blackwater Park and the Rectos first appeared on Ghost Reveries. Prior to BWP it was mostly Peavey 5150's and ENGL's. Orchid and Morningrise were old Marshalls.

BairdM3 said:
I know someone here must be a fan and has a great patch...anyone?
I like Opeth a lot and I have a patch. Don't know if it's that "great", or that true to the original. I just use Das Metall with some appropriate cab, as I've come accustomed to doing for most metal sounds. When playing along to Hessian Peel I get into it and when I don't f*ck p it sounds like it belongs in the mix.

For my money it's not that important to nail the guitar sound to do Opeth. Their sound isn't that distinctive to me and you'll sound like Opeth if you play it like Opeth - as opposed to Pantera, where Dimebag's dry scooped snarl was a real staple of the music and a general heavy riffing sound wouldn't mix in at all. (It was cool when AlbertA kindly provided patches for that sound. Playing "Walk" was never more fun.)

Don't know if that helps any.

Agreed above.

Laneys have very little to with opeth's sound. They run then entirely clean. They might as well just be using power amps.

I have a laney and the clean sound is kind of like a cross between a vox and fender. So one of the fender sims with a tube screamer might be worth a try. Possibly multiple tubescreamers.
~mix~

By the way, according to Gitarre&Bass both Mikael Akerfeldt and Fredrik Åkesson are now playing an ULTRA.
I guess the next album gonna sound amazing (ampwise...)! :D

donttouchmyaxe said:
By the way, according to Gitarre&Bass both Mikael Akerfeldt and Fredrik Åkesson are now playing an ULTRA.

Nice! I hadn't heard that- I'll have to look it up, thanks for sharing man

donttouchmyaxe said:

Hell yeah! Mikael has great taste in everything :)

Back
Top Bottom