O'Hagan

macky7tyseven

Inspired
After a cheap SG copy, the first real guitar that I could afford was a beautiful black O'Hagan.

Baught it with 16 yrs after spending all my summer holidays in rather shitty jobs to earn the money. It cost about two thousand Euros in the 80ties. Man I loved it - from our first encounter in the shoppingwindow. The shop was owned by a humble and friendly man. Still works in the same job today after actually being retired since long. He probably was from the first generation of Rock'n'Roll and R&B Lovers in Switzerland - a real rebell at that time. I think he even played the drums in his own band when he was younger. Some yellowish posters in the shop pointed to it.

And that guitar: Beautifully shiny black, going-through Mahagony neck and body, Schaller pickups and tuners, all contained in a just wonderful and sexy looking form. My first serious guitar ... I think it was handmade in Minnesota, but are not sure. When I started college, I sadly had to sell it.

I was recently looking out for that brand, but it seems it doesn't exist anymore. Did you ever play an O'Hagan?

Thank you for the links! I think it must have been something like the nightwatch double cutaway, but all black.

I can't tell whether these have been very good guitars since I was a beginner and had no idea about guitars. I just loved it from the beginning.

I can't tell whether these have been very good guitars since I was a beginner and had no idea about guitars. I just loved it from the beginning.
From what I see and reading the article they were quality hand crafted guitars. The “Shark” model was unusual, but the double cutaways (probably like yours) look like very nice solid guitars.

I had a 1982 Ibanez AR-50 all black double cutaway w/cream binding as my first real guitar. It was a great simple guitar that I loved. Like a dummy I sold it. Like you, I wish I still had it.

Back
Top Bottom