OGTD

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Old Guitar Tuneup Day....

I rewired the Electromatic Pro Jet back from a mod I tried and was disappointed with to sort-of stock.

Used 500k lefty pots for the two individual pickup volumes, which makes blending them super easy!

Subbed a TBX tone pot wired as a passive treble/bass cut for the regular treble cut. Cenerered at the detent, it is a no-load tone pot. Turn down for treble rolloff, or up for bass rolloff. Lots of good sounds on this knob....
IMG_20220712_222906.jpg

Was thinking of sticking some TV Jones pickups in this, since the tone was a little dumpy on the lows on the neck pickup, and the bridge pickup sounded a smidgen weak. But, with a few turns of a screwdriver, was able to adjust them a little and crisp up the lows on the neck pickup and beef up the bridge pickup a bit to where it sounds really great as it is....

Very cool... nice work!

Any chance you could post the whole schematic? It shows a little cropped here. I'm on a tablet right now... not sure if that is playing a part.

That's just the TBX PTB mod schematic, yanked out of a schematic I found online for a Strat Deluxe mod. I don't have an exact schematic, but this one is close:19101210130025019416458159.jpgRemove the master tone, and insert the TBX PTB mod control in the line from the switch to the master volume, and use all 180pF caps for the treble bleeds (used without the resistor on the MV), and you've got my variation on this circuit.

Thanks a lot for digging that up... mighty kind.

I have a couple old beaters that I'm constantly tinkering with when I come across something new to try.

Obliged.

Interesting, I never got along with the TBX when I had one but it was with pickups I didn't like so I should revisit it.
This is not the standard TBX circuit, but a passive treble or bass cut using the TBX pot. I agree on the usual TBX. Not my cup of tea....

Nice. I like the passive treble-bass cut idea.

The "few turns of a screwdriver" were about pickup height? What did you do?
Raised the bridge pickup about 1/8" or so, raised the neck pickup also about 1/8", but tilted it lengthwise so the neck side of the pickup is about 1/8" closer than the bridge side, so it picks up better from the one side than the other.

Bridge sounds punchier and more present now, and neck sounds overall clearer, and crisper on the low strings....

This is not the standard TBX circuit, but a passive treble or bass cut using the TBX pot. I agree on the usual TBX. Not my cup of tea....
I realise but I meant the whole passive extended tone control . I guess my issue is if you don't like a pickup with a blower switch you'r not going to add anything to a direct output. The regular subtractive tone can be good if the pot and the cap work to produce a musical sounding taper. I tend to use a 250kA pot 5% and a high voltage PIO cap . Not that capacitance isn't just capacitance it's more how musical and usable is the treble rolloff. Some caps (low voltage ceramic) seem to cut the treble too hard too quick with a very small useful range. I find the physical size of the cap makes the most difference. This is why I favour high voltage caps because that are substantially bigger. In fact even a high voltage ceramic cap sounds pretty good over a wider range of settings.

Back
Top Bottom