Observations on FRFR v Amp and Cab

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Well, I have spent the last 8 months using an Art SLA-1 bridged in to my VHT 2x12 Fat bottom cab. I have tried FRFR a few times but havent really liked it. It didnt sound like I wanted it to at all. I kept my VHT amp for 6 monhts and used that to compare my patches to (along with a friends Orange Thunderverb kept in the same room) to make sure I was in the right ballpark and obviously the FRFR sound wasnt the same.

TBH my personal PA is pretty budget - being Wharfedale EXP Powered PA - 2 x 12" tops and a 15" Sub. This isnt idea for monitoring duties either with theose 15" drivers.

Ive dont some recording over the last month direct into Pro-Tools and have liked the results - SO - I decided to try FRFR again.

I Mic'd up my Cab (On my Mostly used Fryett High Patch) through my Wharfedales with a backing track on MP3. It took a good 1/2 hour to get a sound I liked out of the PA. I have a V30 and a G12H in the cab, so positioned the mic on both speakers, and in different positions - and used a Sure Bete 57 as my mic. I did this so I could hear what a mic'd cab should/does sound like.

Well, I then turned on the Cab sims (from the same patch which Id used to record) and found the sound was better straight off the bat - tweeked the desk a little (didnt want to change my Patch at this time) and it sounded really good. Compared to the mic'd cab the Bass was tighter, the trebble was less harsh and some of the mids that sounded a little nasely wernt there. Compared to the unmic'd cab there was a lot more bottom end - more like a 4x12 - and there was more cut in the upper frequencies.

As I no longer have my VHT amp to use as a comparison, the different sounds (FRFR v amp) were less right and wrong as just different.

I tried other patches Id put Cab sims on, but in all those cases the Micd cab sounded better - BUT I hadnt worked the patches there - just put a suitable cab and mic sim on. These will sound better with some work obviously. The best results here were just the Amp/Cab as it just seemed more natural. Also being cleaner there was more bass comming from the cab. Not surprising really as these patches had been designed fo this method.

Now this was playing to a backing track - to simulate FOH for a fully mic'd band. Playing with my band at rehursals and the SS amp/Cab setup sounds better accross the board. I put this down to the low end thump from live drums and Bass meaning the amps middly sound sits in the mix. Through a PA you loose this thump and the bass on the guitar is emphasised slightly, so the amp/cab just sounded odd.

My conclusions are this.

1. For recording use Cab/Mic sims and record direct (predictably).

2. If you play at venues where the band is fully mic'd (seems usual in the states - not so in the UK)the best results are to be had with a FRFR set-up (direct to FOH and a FRFR monitor). This gives the best "PA" sound/mix and has lower on stage noise. It does sound different to what your used to on stage, but thats not a bad thing - just takes some getting used to.

3. If you play where only the vocals, or maybe the kick drum goes through the PA (most pub venues in the UK), a real Amp/Cab (ss or valve) is better. It sits in the backline better than a FRFR sound. Mixing the real backling (bass, other guitars, drums) with a direct FRFR guitar sound doesnt seem quite right to me.

Now - I have a decision to make. Im going to have to duplicate my patches so I have a amp/cab set and a recording/FRFR set. Thats no problem. BUT I need a FRFR monitoring solution for on stage. There are several options here which I can investigate along with a KH D.A.R.T monitor that is avalable locally.

However, as I have the Art SLA-1 to power my cab anyway, would I be better to go for a decent passive monitor and use the Art to power it? or get a decent powered monitoring solution (the HK, Verve, QSC, Atomic FRFR etc). Financially the Passive monitor is better and I wouldnt be carrying the Art in the rack when it wasnt needed - but Ive seen no recomendations here. As for sound quality, which would be better? I want the best "sounding" solution and if thats a powered rig then fine, if not Im quite happy with a passive solution.

Any help in this next stage of my Axe Journey is appreciated.

I'm curious. i just got a QSC HPR122i and decided to jump into FRFR. Are their other players who have had a similar situation with having no FOH support. Do you have a problem with the sound of a FRFR when playing with no direct line to FOH with a band that's primarily not miced? To me a great live tone coming from FOH or a FRFR system behind you should sound great either way, but then again I have yet to try it.

rsf1977 said:
Do you have a problem with the sound of a FRFR when playing with no direct line to FOH with a band that's primarily not miced?
No.

To me a great live tone coming from FOH or a FRFR system behind you should sound great either way,
Correct. If you can get it to sound good over the FOH PA, you can get it to sound equally good from a monitor of similar quality. I've never had the slightest problem using my FRFR system to cover the house. It sounds better than any amp I've ever used over the past 40+ years.

rsf1977 said:
I'm curious. i just got a QSC HPR122i and decided to jump into FRFR. Are their other players who have had a similar situation with having no FOH support. Do you have a problem with the sound of a FRFR when playing with no direct line to FOH with a band that's primarily not miced? To me a great live tone coming from FOH or a FRFR system behind you should sound great either way, but then again I have yet to try it.

You're basically describing my rehearshal situation, my 12MA covers all the bases very well.

No problem at all. In fact, I find my tone superior to the audience than was previously possible with my tube rig which contained a "Ho" attenuator (arguably one of the best) through a 4x12.

Let me clarify a little.

Im not saying an FRFR rig CANT sound like a real amp in an un-mic situation. Im sure with the right IRs and tweeking it can.

However

A common comment here when people say "its not like a real tube amp" is that its designed to sound like a micd up amp not a "real room" amp. the 2 sounds are not the same.

its why Im happier (or have been) with a SS amp and cab. Its what Im used to (sound wise) and so is the band as we dont mic up that often.

What Ive compared is my Cab mic'd and the FRFR sound direct form the axe. The Direct from Axe sound is better, and took a lot less time and hassle to find than playing with the mic position on the cab.

The same sound - ie not tweeked to sound "real" didnt sit as well in an unmic'd band context than this micd sound. I didnt expect it too. For now this is where Im at. I need to source a decent FRFR monitoring solution (rather than my cheap Wharfedales) then make (or tweek and save in a different location) my current SS/Amp patches to sound like a mic'd up amp. This ill then use when the band is completely miicd and for recording. I dont need (or intend at this stage) to sell my Cab and SS amp - so will continue to use this for unmic'd giggs and rehersals.

Once this has been done - Ill turn my attention to re-programming some more "real, amp in room" sounds. Once Ive done that and Im happy, I MAY then sell the cab/SS amp (or at least take it out of the rack). This tweeking (both for micd and real sounds) will take a lot longer than my stock amp/cab sounds. This is due to the following:

1. I had a real amp to compare when I made the first patches

2. Getting the right cab/mic/EQ is a lot harder than not using them at all.

3. Slight changes make a massive difference in FRFR environments. this is not true is amp/Cab sounds. A lot of things dont make too much difference (like Cut off Freq etc - cos the real cab does it for you - kinda).

The point is, Im begining to make the jump to FRFR I feel. One stage at a time.

Now Ive done research into 3 monitors. Each have pros/cons and im not sure which is better. They are:

1. HK D.A.R.T

Pros - smallest, and I know HKs quality having used their PAs.

Con - Freq range of 80hz to 18Khz which is not as wide os other options.

2. Verve 12MA

Pro - Bi amped. Real X-Over before amp.
Many happy people on this forum
Smallest footprint (just)

Con - 400W O/P. Im sure its enough for monitoring but is it enough when my backline is also the FOH sound?

3. QSC K12

Pro - 1000W !!!!! with 131 db O/P (Verve is 123 db)
Twin inputs - which could be usefull

Con - only 1 amp. Though the X-Over done by DSP (which gives other options)
Its relativly new - havent seen any reviews yet.

Price of all 3 is about the same so not an issue.

i think its between the Verve and QSC really. So any comments here?

I have the 12ma and it can get seriously loud. If you are playing without the help of a PA (small pubs hopefully) it will do just fine. If you are playing larger bars/clubs, nothing will sound right until you use a full PA.

To get the full advantage, consider using two monitors; I ran a pair of K12s at a large club in Boston recently, one as a wedge in front of my vocal monitor and the second facing out where the cabinet used to go for front-stage fill. I ran them very hard and they were plenty loud. The wedge really helped me hear myself on a very large very loud stage.

I like the K12s a lot, they are equally useful as mains and monitors for rehearsals, function nicely as an amp for my Roland V-drums.

But I also ordered a pair of 12MAs, but God only knows if they will EVER get here.

Back
Top Bottom