OBEL and input level

I just received my FM9, upgrading from the FM3. I have an OBEL (onboard effects loop) equipped guitar with a preamp circuit as well. I have been using the non-OBEL guitar output to the FMs. With the 3, the signal was low and sometimes noisy, but I could use it. Guitars without the OBEL were fine. When the FM9 arrived, my signal disappeared after about 30 minutes. I switched guitars everything was fine. I use a HubBub on the pedal board when using amps. I'm thinking of using it in front of the FM9, but just the amp out, not the loop. I don't think the loop is necessary:). If that experiment works, I will add to this post. Meanwhile, has anyone had any experience with a situation like this? I'm fortunate to have a few fine instruments, but my number 1 is sidelined unless I can resolve my predicament. I figure it is user error on my part, so I am asking for advice. As an aside, I set up a two amp setup like I hd in my heavy metal days, Marshall 2204 half stack and Fender Silver face joined through a stereo chorus (Ibanez purple box) fronted by a TS9 with each amp having a different echoplex in front of it. Those were my sound sculpting days:). Anyway, Carumba!!!! The FM9 transported me back to my youth.

If possible, could you describe the circuitry of the OBEL guitar, (active or passive electronics)?

Preliminary diagnosis would be the non-OBEL guitars do not require any power and pass signal to the FM9 as they should. An active circuit typically requires either a battery or power source. That would be a strong indicator of whether your OBEL guitar should pass signal or not.

That is, put a fresh battery in and test again, if the OBEL is an active circuit.

It is an active circuit, maybe based on the Alembic preamp. I tried two new batteries of differnt brands just in case one was dead out of the box. Most of the time I get a signal, but it requires quite a boost compare to another guitar with Duncan PAFs. The OBEL guitar has Lollar Imperial high wind pickups. I am going to try the HubBub and see if the circuit performs better. I'll update with any findings.

It is an active circuit, maybe based on the Alembic preamp. I tried two new batteries of differnt brands just in case one was dead out of the box. Most of the time I get a signal, but it requires quite a boost compare to another guitar with Duncan PAFs. The OBEL guitar has Lollar Imperial high wind pickups. I am going to try the HubBub and see if the circuit performs better. I'll update with any findings.
So it's just an active on-board effect loop circuit? Not active pickups? Do you perhaps own an amp that works with the OBEL guitar? Not sure how to improve on something I'm not familiar with. I get that you're trying to create a strong but silent preamp circuit. Will respectfully step aside so as to allow others to chime in.

I appreciate your interest and input. No active pickups. I've used the guitar for many years with a pedal board filled with the usual suspects (KTR, Earth Drive, Snow White, Octron, and so on) into a Two Rock with a Rock Crusher. But at my advancing age, the weight and setup have gotten the better of me. So, I tried the FM3 (my wife said I'd never be happy with modelling and convincd me to go cheap:)) and was amazed. Did a few gigs with the OBEL bypassing the loop but always with some noise, which I new was guitar related. When I stepped up to the FM9 for the reverbs and double amp capability, I started from scratch (rewatched Leon Todd and my Cooper Carter subscription) and I couldn't get a signal that was nnot noisy and then no signal (that's when I tried the batteries). For example the Bassman setup sounds terrible, anemic, under driven. I plug in the PAF non OBEL or a Tele and everything is there, sparkly and working. I figure I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to experiment. If I solve the riddle, there will other OBEL users with Fractal devices that might benefit:). Thanks again for your interest. I can say this, even noisy with the OBEL, I have had a blast. I set up a Marshall Plexi and had y=my wife put on headphones and I played Sunshine of Your Love. She said, "Even I know that sounds just like the record." Fractal rules. My back is happy:).

Yup. Seems like the OBEL has its own thing going on that doesn't respond well to the FM9. Is there an OBEL forum that might connect you with FAS users there? Trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle does no good unless you have the pieces in front of you. (My 2¢ for today...😉)

I thought I'd post an update. I believe the problem is solved. Background noise gone. Gain structure input or whatever it's called is now matching. All presets working as intended. I purchased another HubBub (didn't want to take the pedal board apart just yet), made a closed loop with a short cable and hooked the guitar up as if I were using the pedal board with the all cables etc. All the issues that have been a concern since I started with my FM3 are gone. I can't explain why it is working from an electrical point of view, but it is:). Sooo, if you have an OBEL equipped guitar, especially one with an Alembic-style preamp, use a HubBub or similar device. Anyway, I am super happy.

Back
Top Bottom