Noob Tempo Questions

WVought

1. I'm sending MIDI Clock from Cubase to Axe-FX III via a 5-pin DIN MIDI cable running from my audio interface to the Axe-FX. I'd prefer to do this via the USB cable I have running from my audio interface to the Axe-FX. Is this possible? (I know, probably a silly question.)

2. The tempo of my current Cubase project is 95 BPM. However, the Global Tempo in Axe-FX, which should also be 95, is in fact twice that. Why, and what can I do to correct this? (BTW, if I change the Cubase tempo, the Axe-FX Global Tempo updates to again be twice as fast as the Cubase tempo.)

3. I'd like to be able to always automatically sync the tempo of Axe-FX presets to the tempo of Cubase. I see on the Tempo menu that I can choose (for each individual preset) to use Global Tempo rather than the default preset tempo. Assuming I get the problem in #2 above worked out, I'd like to change ALL presets to use Global Tempo. This way if I'm trying to add a guitar part to an unfinished Cubase project, I can quickly audition various Axe-FX presets without having to manually set the tempo of each one, and without recording a guitar part only to later find that I forgot to set the tempo properly. Is there a way to change "Tempo To Use" to Global for all presets at once, or do I really have to change each preset individually?

Thanks!

i think all presets are set to global by default, unless it has a specific effect set.

not sure about the other clock things.

1. Yes, you can send MIDI clock via the Axe-FX's USB-midi connection.
2. Not sure about this one, maybe there's a setting in Cubase that's causing it to send twice as many clock messages? Or maybe you've got the Axe-FX connected via both USB and DIN MIDI and it's receiving clock messages on both and summing them together?
3. I think all presets are set to this by default, with a few exceptions.

1. Apparently Kamil is correct. Cubase can send MIDI Clock to Axe-FX via USB, and is (and was) in fact doing so without me having to change any settings.

2. I disconnected the 5-Pin MIDI cable, and the Global Tempo now matches with that of my Cubase project, so Kamil's theory that using both the USB and the 5-Pin MIDI cable was causing the problem is most likely correct.

3. Regarding the default setting of each preset's Tempo To Use parameter, the manual says this:

"A given preset can ignore the Global Tempo and use its own saved Preset Tempo instead. In fact, this is the default setting."

All of the presets I've checked have their Tempo To Use parameter set to Preset, as one would expect given what the manual says.

I can't find anything saying there's an easy way to change ALL the presets to Tempo To Use: Global in one easy step, so I guess I'll have to change them as I go, assuming I find it to be necessary.

Thanks to all.

I can't find anything saying there's an easy way to change ALL the presets to Tempo To Use: Global in one easy step, so I guess I'll have to change them as I go, assuming I find it to be necessary.
I'm betting that the Batch Setter in FracTool could do that.

If you use it, consider making a donation to @AlGrenadine for his awesome tool. I'm sure it's gonna be a timesaver for you on this.

Back
Top Bottom