Noob Question Setting up Focusrite 6i6 setup

rlhjr34

Inspired
So I have been running my AX8 with the balanced XLR cables to my JBL LSR305 speakers. Perfect sound and works like a champ.

I added a Focusrite 6i6 to the equation recently. I'm now hitting a snag trying to split the duties of my monitors. I had wanted to keep my XLR connections to my JBL's and then run SPDIF to the 616.
Then I had a set of TRS cables from the monitors to the 6i6 to use them for music playback. I'm not having much luck with this configuration. Is it not possible to do this?

I get distorted fizzy playback with my AX8 signal with this setup now. The stereo playback on my monitors is great with I flip things over on Scarlett MixControl.

Is the simple fix a second pair of TRS cables from AX8 to the 6i6 instead of using my XLR's? What are others doing for their setups with their Audio Interface?

Not 100% sure I understand your routing. I have the 6i6, so may be able to provide some input.

AX8 (via S/PDIF) > 6i6 > JBL LSR305s?

This is how I will run my setup. I have a feeling you may be ovecomplicating things? My music playback is going directly to the 6i6 over USB.

Yep, I got it figured out about 10 mins after posting that. That's how mine is setup and works fine. It was the MixControl that was messing me up.

Ahh okay. Out of interest, what was the problem? I was going to suggest maybe sample rate if the AX8 was connected over S/PDIF, or stereo pairing if it was connected over stereo cables.

I was trouble shooting with the Focusrite folks on Live Chat. I believe the issue was just something silly like the MixControl. I had the Sync Source tab set to the wrong thing. Even the people at Focusrite were confused. They were taking over my CPU to navigate and missed it. It worked out in the end. I guess even the best of the best miss obvious things like that. LOL

Anyone find the output volume is really low on the 6i6? I'm trying to run my AX8 (via S/PDIF) > 6i6 > KRK monitors without using my Mackie mixer as I have in the past to reduce noise. But unfortunately the 6i6 starts clipping long before the volume is very loud. Adding the Mackie in gives a lot more volume headroom without clipping. Wondering if I'm missing something simple on the 6i6?

It sounds like, you need to turn up the output volume on the interface. In addition to the input gain, there may be a virtual mixer with faders for Ax8 channels and a master fader, and there may be an analogue master volume on the front panel

im 99% sure that focusrite have a built in mixer, you may have a master of fader volume down.

check your gain structure,try it analog first and switch back to digital once the problems found. send your ax8 into a mic pre, gain it until you get peak around -6db with no clipping at anytime. them raise the faders to nominal ( 0db ) on the internal mixer. turn gently the output volume of the interface.
this will send as much sauce as your speaker can handle without clipping.

Back
Top Bottom