No sound from Axe FX 3

CliveBarnes

Hi all..
OK, here's a head scratcher. I've got zero sound coming from my Axe Fx 3.
I'm hooked up to 2 FRFR's
The front panel and Axe Edit are working fine and reading my guitars signal.
To check it wasn't an issue with the FRFR's I plugged into my FM9 and it's perfect.
I'm at a complete loss.
Has anyone come across this..?
Output 2 is also dead.
No buzz, no hum, nothing

Get in touch with support.... did you try all XLR\TRS output jacks on the back from 1-4? How about the headphones jack. Also, try a stock preset

"Panicked," I almost sent my II back once and had the boxes ready. I then found it was a setting for a global volume pedal I had been using. Maybe I turned it off with the pedal down, removed the pedal, and days later expected to have sound... Something like that.

Last edited:
maybe try reinstalling firmware and/or check global output level settings

very basic but have you tried turning it off wait a few sec, then try again

I don't have a III, but yeah, maybe backup everything and try a global reset first (if it's not the preset, etc.).

Hey, no volume pedals are attached..
I didn't have one either on that day, but something had screwed with the global setting (me... :p ).

I had a brief freak out last Thursday when I was getting ready to record; had audio passing through the AxeFX just fine, but nothing coming out of the guitar. I had a rat’s nest of cables at my feet and figured I just plugged in the wrong one, spent 15 minutes untangling them, ensure I have the right cable….strum the strings and nothing…..

29 years into playing and you’d think I’d know to check the damn volume knob before troubleshooting anything else.

Hi all..
OK, here's a head scratcher. I've got zero sound coming from my Axe Fx 3.
I'm hooked up to 2 FRFR's
The front panel and Axe Edit are working fine and reading my guitars signal.
To check it wasn't an issue with the FRFR's I plugged into my FM9 and it's perfect.
I'm at a complete loss.
Has anyone come across this..?
Output 2 is also dead.
No buzz, no hum, nothing
Have you switched to the Layout view from the front panel, tapped the Zoom button, then tabbed over to Meters? That will show all blocks in the preset and a VU meter on each block showing the signal strength. It’s a very quick way of confirming that the signal is flowing through the layout correctly.

I had a brief freak out last Thursday when I was getting ready to record; had audio passing through the AxeFX just fine, but nothing coming out of the guitar. I had a rat’s nest of cables at my feet and figured I just plugged in the wrong one, spent 15 minutes untangling them, ensure I have the right cable….strum the strings and nothing…..

29 years into playing and you’d think I’d know to check the damn volume knob before troubleshooting anything else.
It happens.

The other night I was panicking because my FX3 wasn’t seeing a guitar signal. I eventually found that I hadn’t plugged the guitar cable in all the way. 🤷‍♂️

It’s also good practice to zero the output knobs before powering up the cabinets. A different time I’d plugged a cabinet into the wrong output, didn’t get signal when I turned up the output, so I turned it back down and started checking the connections, found and fixed the problem, then couldn’t get sound, panicked, eventually saw that the volume was off, turned it up and everything worked. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The other night I was panicking because my FX3 wasn’t seeing a guitar signal. I eventually found that I hadn’t plugged the guitar cable in all the way. 🤷‍♂️
Lol…..this happened to me last week….had no sound and was fully in the “you got to be kidding me” mode when I noticed the guitar
cable fitting had not made that last “click” at the front of the Axe…..at least it was a quick fix. :)

It happens. I call trouble shooting, the process of elimination.
When it happens I’ll check the entire signal path until I find the issue. Cables, connections, output levels... etc. Double check everything until I’ve exhausted all possibilities.
Matt at support is great at helping finding the potential problem.

I contacted support, on their advice I backed up everything and did a System Reset..
It's back working now, I'm still none the wiser as to why it happened in the first place.
I had this ...... it was the preset I was using had an amp and cab.... the cabs were all set to "M" mute therefore no output, the quick check is to bypass the cab.

Lol…..this happened to me last week….had no sound and was fully in the “you got to be kidding me” mode when I noticed the guitar
cable fitting had not made that last “click” at the front of the Axe…..at least it was a quick fix. :)

The "You gotta be kidding me!" mode!! I can't f'ing breathe man! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I never wondered how many others say exactly that, outloud, in that slowed, lowered voice when "that moment" happens, besides me, until right now.

Back
Top Bottom