No preamp in SPDIF recordings vs mic'ing through preamps

Brian Dean-O

Inspired
So I am just studying and trying to understand different recording techniques and options at my disposal with plugins.
When you mic a real amp you run it in through an interface or console or whatever but either way there is a preamp that the signal is running through.
With digital modeling we can model the amp/microphone setup with Cab Block and then I run my FM3 via Output 1 into an XLR input on my interface it is then going through a preamp.

Either of these two options the signal is going through a preamp whether it be an interface or console or whatever.
So my question is two part here...

1. When recording via SPDIF instead of one of the preamp channels on an interface there is no preamp involved right so this step is just bypassed so for those of you using SPDIF do you just do without the preamp or possibly use a preamp or preamp+channel strip plugin instead?
2. This part of the question is not only guitar related but in general... does anyone use preamp plugins even if the signal is already going through a preamp. Whether it be guitar signal going in through a channel with a preamp or say mic'ing drums and all the mics are going in through channels each with a preamp how common would it be to then also run that signal through a preamp plugin, I am going to try it either way and see what happens but I'm just curious for any knowledge up front about if that's a thing sending a signal/track through multiple preamps and why this might be beneficial or harmful.

Most preamps these days are quite neutral. If you want preamp flavor, then you can add a preamp model in the Cab Block, or as you mentioned, use a plugin that models a preamp.

When recording via SPDIF instead of one of the preamp channels on an interface there is no preamp involved right so this step is just bypassed so for those of you using SPDIF do you just do without the preamp or possibly use a preamp or preamp+channel strip plugin instead?
I record with SPDIF so I use the mic preamp section of the cab block really cranked up to just before clipping. Adds a lot of harmonic distortion, or “analog warmth.” Sometimes I’ll instead use a preamp/saturation plugin like a 1073 or 512 to do the same thing.

does anyone use preamp plugins even if the signal is already going through a preamp. Whether it be guitar signal going in through a channel with a preamp or say mic'ing drums and all the mics are going in through channels each with a preamp how common would it be to then also run that signal through a preamp plugin, I am going to try it either way and see what happens but I'm just curious for any knowledge up front about if that's a thing sending a signal/track through multiple preamps and why this might be beneficial or harmful.
It definitely won’t be “harmful.” Most modern interface preamps are very clean and clinical which allows you to capture the signal cleanly and add whatever saturation you want with plugins in post.

1. I do whatever makes sense for the tone I want at that particular time (for example, clean and uncompressed vs saturated/dirty), as well as workflow.

2. Only if I hear a need for it (though it would be rare - usually I’d be using something else for color, like maybe a tape saturation plugin).

The bottom line is that there is no right or wrong way - use your ears to assess the tone coming in, determine what (if anything) you want changed (with a view to sitting in the final mix, whatever that may be), and then decide what in your toolbox can get you there - which, when tracking, might be anywhere in the signal chain from player to instrument to whatever analog/digital gear the instrument is plugged into to the console/interface to a plug-in. Once recorded, it’s any plug-ins or available digital or analog outboard gear that is available.

there is a preamp baked into the IR used (usually neutral but not necessarily) + as mentioned above, the cab block's preamp models are available to add in.

Back
Top Bottom