NGD: D'Angelico Premier Mini XT DC VS

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
This past month, in order to complete my basic collection of guitars, a D'Angelico Premier Mini XT DC VS was added to my hanger display. The ES-339-scaled semi-hollow body is both bright and soulful, resonant and loud, soft and dynamic, to name a few good qualities.

The only misgiving I felt about this guitar was the fact that it contained a hollow PPS plastic nut, which by itself was not bad. The improvement repair that is being made as I type is a standard Epiphone bone nut, shaved slightly each side and back edge, and the string grooves rounded with a round file, instead of keeping them v-shaped.

Here is the work in progress. Hopefully, my luthier has taken pictures of additional images so as to document the work...

LpAPMHl.jpg

Here you can see the hollow nut and width variance.

VhdIMIc.jpg

Here's the bone nut attached. May ask the luthier to add some fretboard oil to cover the scratches from files/steel wool.

RvClFIv.jpg

Looking good. Which luthier did you go to for the work? I ask because we are in the same general area and it never hurts to know of another local luthier who does good work.

That makes twice in the last week I've seen one of these hollow nuts...

I don't like this trend.

Nice looking guitar!

Looking good. Which luthier did you go to for the work? I ask because we are in the same general area and it never hurts to know of another local luthier who does good work.
Allow me to ask him if he wants his name spread. He does decent work, (though scratched the fretboard slightly from his file/steel wool) and used a sharpie to cover the scratch...he's away today; it may be a day or two before getting back to you...
That makes twice in the last week I've seen one of these hollow nuts...

I don't like this trend.

Nice looking guitar!
Yeah, the Premier Mini houses a proprietary plastic PPS (hollow!) nut. The Stew-Mac Epiphone bone nut required some filing on both sides and the back edge to make an even fit. The Gibson bone was not a drop-in replacement and was too thin by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom