NGD - USA GG Charvel

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Another thread (refret mid tier guitar with SS frets) put me on a journey of G.A.S. I was close to going for a JP15 but found a rare find in this USA Guthrie Govan Charvel. I have a MIM DK24 that I have modded and punches way above its weight. Absolute player of a guitar and it reinforced that I really just bond most with Charvel necks/guitars. This is a 2021 build. I am blown away by the pickups and range of tones you can coax with this guitar. I think this will become my #1. I believe my hands have finally found.....home. After all these years I have to say this guitar suits me in the most holistic way. These pickups are insanely good. First time I've picked up a guitar and thought the pickups were perfect (other than my EBMM axis from nearly 20 yrs ago)

Attachments

• GG CharvelC.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • GG Charvel a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • GG Charvel.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Nice axe. You've excellently described a grail experience. Have had my eye on these recently myself. Always wondered about those pickups. Thanks for sharing and good luck with that beauty!

How would you compare the GG neck with the DK-24?

Nice guitar. I’ve been wanting to try a GG since it came out. What’s the neck shape like?
The GG neck feels extremely familiar to the DK-24 which to me is like 90% there....the GG adds that extra 10% for me. The width feels the same but the GG is a tad beefier /thickness. I read it described as a flattened C shape. This is why I love it so much it takes the Charvel shape I love and makes it nicer to grip with big mitts. Also SS frets that are nice n glassy to play. I think they have the same size frets if i'm not mistaken but the GG doesn't feel like rail road tracks when you run your finger up /down the neck. My DK-24 can feel like that sometimes. I'm sure the SS makes the difference in glassiness. My DK-24 is great. It feels like those high end corvettes that want to be a ferrari. The GG is a ferrari. I'm going to sell my MIM DK-24. I was strongly considering the EBMM JP15 that I'm quite familiar with. I've had one before. Gorgeous finish options and the piezo is sweet. The necks are amazing but still a tad small for my liking. Charvel wins easily here (for my hands).

some interesting features on the GG: sperzel locking tuners are great. The bridge is real interesting. saddles are not individually adjustable. Either you raise or lower bridge for action. The action is perfect as is. apparently that bridge design helps with stability. I love the low friction pots and numbered knobs. the pickups are a real star on this guitar. I'm amazed how much ground they cover. The mini toggle single coil simulation is quite amazing. I do wish the middle single pup was selectable on its own. I saw a vid of a guy who modded the wiring to get that single coil on its own. Not sure I need to do that quite yet....
The Tremel-No I have not played around with much yet. Curious to see how i get along with it. Time will tell.

Last edited:
oh a small note on the nut I forgot to mention. This is a preowned guitar (one owner only) and he had a tech take out the bone nut. It had the tech invoice/notes included in case so read over it. Apparently the original owner was experiencing the high e string slipping out of the nut so had his tech put in a tusq nut. Not a deal breaker but I was hoping to hear what if any difference the bone nut makes. THe guitar shop includes a free setup with any guitar purchase and told me if i really wanted to they could install a bone nut. I've never had a bone nut on any guitar so honestly don't know what i'm missing. The nut on it now is cut perfectly as is so may leave it. Guthrie prefers bone nut for more 'complex/warm.' tones.
That's about all I gots to say about nuts
shrimp GIF

Gorgeous guitar!!!
Happy NGD!

I had guitars with tusq and bone... I cannot hear difference (and maybe I'm deaf, who knows) but I guess the most important part is how it's cut. If it feels good I'll stay on it

Back
Top Bottom