NGD - Taylor 814 CE Builder’s Edition

I tried an 814ce at a Taylor event pre-covid and I hit the low E string and it was like a cannon went off. I figured no way it would be balanced across the strings but it was. I'm more an electric player so I stick with my 414ce which isn't as nice but still sounds great and the ovankol smells amazing to me.

When I strum this guitar, it sounds like it has more strings than it does. I think it’s because of how balanced the strings are to each other. I’ve owned 300, 400, and 500 series Taylors and loved them all.

Played the 814 Builder’s Edition then played a 914 today. The 914 was like a cannon in comparison. More volume, punchier and deeper sound. $1300 more though but I’m considering the 914 now. Gonna give it a few days to think about it.

Once you pass a certain price threshold, I think you’ve got to go a little extra to get exactly what you want. Otherwise it’s always going to bug you. Sweetwater will work with you on the price. 😎

Once you pass a certain price threshold, I think you’ve got to go a little extra to get exactly what you want. Otherwise it’s always going to bug you. Sweetwater will work with you on the price. 😎
They’ll deal? That’s good. I’m prepared to pay cash. Thought that might sweeten the deal. the 914 was a noticeable step up in sound. It wasn’t a subtle thing. I literally said "wow" with the first strum.

I got my 714ce out of the case a few days ago, after ignoring it for 4 months or so. I really need to do that more often. My modeler and electrics have pulled me away from my acoustics. It’s a sweet guitar. I knew it was the one after 2 chords. That guitar you bought is a serious beauty!

I got my 714ce out of the case a few days ago, after ignoring it for 4 months or so. I really need to do that more often. My modeler and electrics have pulled me away from my acoustics. It’s a sweet guitar. I knew it was the one after 2 chords. That guitar you bought is a serious beauty!

Thanks! I’m really enjoying the simplicity of just picking it up and instantly having a smile on my face. It sounds so sweet and plays so easily. My wife seems to enjoy hearing me play it too. That’s an extra bonus.

Played the 814 Builder’s Edition then played a 914 today. The 914 was like a cannon in comparison. More volume, punchier and deeper sound. $1300 more though but I’m considering the 914 now. Gonna give it a few days to think about it.
Happened to see that Sweetwater has a demo model for a few hundred off.

Yep, I saw that one too but haven’t played it. I’m going tomorrow and I’ll check that one out If they still have it. Taylors are pretty consistent.

I was able to play a good number of solid wood Taylor’s when I was on the hunt. Build quality was excellent on all of them and the same models have a similar tone. I played 4 714ce guitars and the one I picked was the best sounding one. They were all very nice guitars but they have their own identities and character.

Went with the 914. It was more lively than the 814. Got it home and compared it to my 20th Anniversary model and they are virtually identical in tone. The 914 has a touch more low end but you’d never notice it in a mix. It’s funny because the 20th is mahogany back and sides with a cedar top as opposed to rosewood and spruce.

Went with the 914. It was more lively than the 814. Got it home and compared it to my 20th Anniversary model and they are virtually identical in tone. The 914 has a touch more low end but you’d never notice it in a mix. It’s funny because the 20th is mahogany back and sides with a cedar top as opposed to rosewood and spruce.
You know you’re obligated to post pics now… 😁

I had expensive Taylor 814CE and sold it (I wanted to get some money and buy less expensive guitar).
Story went this way that I bought Ibanez AAD300CE (nice sounding guitar etc. but there was few problem, sometimes things happens).
So I dropped Ibanez back to store and went other store and I bought Taylor 210CE.

This brand new Taylor 210CE looks, feels and sounds great without amplified and with amplified sound.
Look well made also and I don't care if back and sides are laminated rosewood (also it can be good choice for these kind winter weather).
So I'm back to Taylor after short !act of infidelity", below some pictures:

1702298313550.png

1702298434739.png
1702298539719.png

Back
Top Bottom