NGD: PRS Custom 24 Piezo

I just like playing! And the kids were all in the service today for the fall kickoff, so half the songs were real high-energy rock and ska stuff. Just tons of fun.
Cool!

We did Rattle yesterday and I had the Nashville Tele doing some nasty Drop D and slide after I got through playing the intro riff!

Turn all the pole piece screws out a bit if it's dark. It will make the screws coil a hair louder than the slugs coil, which helps bring in just enough extra presence and zing. Turn them out a bit more on the neck pickup if it sounds woofy in the lows. Bridge pickup doesn't usually have a woofiness issue.

I like to do a pattern similar to the bridge saddles, i.e., a half turn closer on the D and skinny E, and a half turn further on the G and fat E.
I’ll keep this in mind, thanks!

I’ll have to see if I can find it! I think I got the bridge pickup pretty well sorted but I may need to adjust the neck pickup a little (particularly the bass side, which is always a little too boomy for me).

Another thing I read recently was about how somebody swore by getting a second neck pickup for each of their guitars and putting it in the bridge. I don’t want to do that, just thought it was an interesting solution to the dark neck pickup problem.
There’s a pickup height guide on mylespaul.com that is well done, in the luthier section maybe? I believe i copied it to this forum as well. Worth a read!

I’ll have to see if I can find it! I think I got the bridge pickup pretty well sorted but I may need to adjust the neck pickup a little (particularly the bass side, which is always a little too boomy for me).

Another thing I read recently was about how somebody swore by getting a second neck pickup for each of their guitars and putting it in the bridge. I don’t want to do that, just thought it was an interesting solution to the dark neck pickup problem.
Adjust your pickup height and then your pole pieces. Pole pieces can do wonders!

So if you do pickup heigh then pole pieces, how do you know when you’re “done” adjusting the pickup height?

So if you do pickup heigh then pole pieces, how do you know when you’re “done” adjusting the pickup height?
When it doesn't sound bad any more.

Go in small increments. HB height adjustment screws ar #3/40, IIRC, so a full turn is 1/40". The pole pieces are #5/32 fillister head screws, so 1/32" per full turn.

I'd start backing the whole pickup off about 2.5 turns, then bring the fat E and G up 1 turn, the A and B up 1.5 turns, and the D and skinny E up 2 turns, and try it. Small, quarter turn adjustments after that ought to get it dialed in.

Back
Top Bottom