NGD Epiphone ‘58 Korina Twins

Nik73

Inspired
53897595355_9fab5a1765_c.jpg

Apart from the hollow/semi hollow guitars, I’ve never been a fan of Epiphone guitars. After a lengthy break from playing, I picked up a Tribute Plus LP in 2012 that was highly regarded, but I wasn’t impressed. At all.
Since then I’ve avoided them like the plague.
I thought I was all set for guitars last year (yeah, I know), but then decided to spread my wings a bit from the LP, Strat, Tele style guitars that make up 90% of my collection. Picked up a TVL JM first. Love it, especially how it inspires me to play differently. Then picked up one of the Epiphone IBG Firebirds for £500 after hearing good things about how Epiphone has upped their game recently. I’d agree, incredible guitar for the money and, again, it makes me play outside my comfort zone.
The IBG Explorers and Vs were on sale recently, so was tempted, but then the Korina Explorer went on sale. Not sure I’ve heard a bad word about them, so after a failed first attempt, picked one up last week.

Amazing guitar and easily holds its own against some Gibson Les Pauls I have. Genuinely. No it doesn’t make me play differently, but good lord it rocks. Pair it with a Marshall style amp and OOOOFF!!!
Was so impressed, I had to pick up the V as well. Again, it rocks. Hard.

I managed to get both for £1800, which is a lot for Epiphone guitars, but in my humble opinion, worth every penny. Maybe even for the full price of £2600.
The one thing I’d say about the Explorer is that the finish seems to crack around the neck joint just by looking at it. I’d recommend getting one in store rather than having it delivered. Mine has one, but everything else about the guitar is so good I’m not returning it and the store did give me some money back.

So yeah. VERY impressed

Gorgeous guitars. The Korina V is the guitar that ignited a lifetime of guitar lust in me. I saw someone playing one when I was 13 and flipped out. Took me until my 50s to finally get one :) I love the Korina Explorer too. Those are fantastically inspired guitar shapes.

The fundamental difference between this and a Gibson is the truss rod design. The Epiphone has more than twice the amount of metal in it and often a gap around it. This basically prevents the Epiphone from ever sounding the same.

The fundamental difference between this and a Gibson is the truss rod design. The Epiphone has more than twice the amount of metal in it and often a gap around it. This basically prevents the Epiphone from ever sounding the same.

@Andy Eagle you know I have great respect for your opinion.

In this case of this New V inspired by Gibson. Are you sure Epiphone is using the truss rod design you mentioned above?

To elaborate; there is nothing wrong with the rod design my reservation is it can be installed with a space around it and still work. My other question for these is more than double the metal in the neck definitely changes the formula away from the Gibson.

To elaborate; there is nothing wrong with the rod design my reservation is it can be installed with a space around it and still work. My other question for these is more than double the metal in the neck definitely changes the formula away from the Gibson.

@Andy Eagle Thank you for your reply! With double the metal, seems like there would be more neck dive, correct?

Back
Top Bottom