New Vid of Kustom KPC12MPs with the axe

zentman

Experienced
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bURsElilGMw

Droid cam phone. This was as loud as I need. I was pushing air you can't hear on the vid as well as low end. I could go louder but at one point they broke up a tad. Not unpleasantly but it was still there. However I was pushing some major volume at the time and you could only hear it on the cleans and then only on the low E note.

Guys who play very loud and I mean VERY loud might pop these in. They are 3 db more sensitive than the stock speakers and would effectively double the 100 watts headroom.

http://www.usspeaker.com/faital%20pro%20w12n8-200-1.htm

Scott Peterson said:
As I noted on TGP - nice tip. Thanks!

As you may or may not know, one of my nick names is Mr Cheap Ass.

I am constantly looking for bargains that work and work well. These monitors are one.

Hey,

Sounds good....I'm intrigued. Can you comment more on the bass response? The specs (70Hz) seem a little weak, but I'm interested in your impressions. The 15" version goes a lot lower for a bit more $.

Thanks,
Mitch

mitch said:
Hey,

Sounds good....I'm intrigued. Can you comment more on the bass response? The specs (70Hz) seem a little weak, but I'm interested in your impressions. The 15" version goes a lot lower for a bit more $.

Thanks,
Mitch

There is more bass than you will ever need. I am rolling back the global eq on the 60hz all the way and the 120 about 4db.

Got the 8k rolled back a tad too.

An EVM12l only goes down to 80hz BTW. Celestion Greenback 75hz.

The front baffle is thick ass plywood but the rest of the cab is particle board. I took it apart while running a recorded track through it. As soon as the speaker was out the bass dropped but once it rested against the baffle it thumped.

BTW, they used metal jacks which I thought was cool for cheap stuff these days.

I may have to buy a couple of those, are they fairly flat sounding? I'm looking for something cheap to use at home that'll get louder than my KRK's but still sound pretty similar.

marshall2553 said:
I may have to buy a couple of those, are they fairly flat sounding? I'm looking for something cheap to use at home that'll get louder than my KRK's but still sound pretty similar.

Not as flat as my studio monitors but nothing few tweaks of the global eq doesn't fix. Usable and gigable and for the price a great deal.

When pointed at my head I need to roll back the highs. When standing up, like the vid, no problem.

Let me be clear here, they are certainly not the best monitors out there. They will break up when pushed, not unpleasantly, but they still will.

They will need EQing,

Just did a test with my 130 watt tube stack. It is definitely louder (duh). Don't buy these thinking you're going to do an outdoor show with just these. Buy them if you play small halls or need monitors.

zentman said:
Let me be clear here, they are certainly not the best monitors out there. They will break up when pushed, not unpleasantly, but they still will.

They will need EQing,
Understood. I have a pair of tech21 power engine 60's (60w each) and have been looking for something cheap and flatter than those. I imagine these should get at least as loud before break up, no? How loud is the breakup point? Would these survive in a small setting with a moderate drummer, or are they really better suited for personal practice levels? I only have the occasional jam, so I really don't want to spend a bundle at this point. Just want to make sure they won't completely fall on their face.

Thanks again.

mitch said:
zentman said:

They will need EQing,
Understood. I have a pair of tech21 power engine 60's (60w each) and have been looking for something cheap and flatter than those. I imagine these should get at least as loud before break up, no? How loud is the breakup point? Would these survive in a small setting with a moderate drummer, or are they really better suited for personal practice levels? I only have the occasional jam, so I really don't want to spend a bundle at this point. Just want to make sure they won't completely fall on their face.

Thanks again.
At ten feet my ears were hurting. They are loud. Not as loud as my 130 watt tube stack with EVs but I had it cranked and it is loud.

I often set volumes here and get to the gym sized hall and have to turn down. I then go back to my studio setting at the hall and think "Fuck that's loud".

BTW, I think it's the speakers breaking up as they are 80 watts each. They are being pushed to the max when cranked. Also explains why the breakup is pleasant as opposed to SS break up like a power amp.

I don't see this product on the Kustom website. Are you sure you have the right product name, or is this a legacy product? Also, do they make a passive version or only active?

claxor said:
I don't see this product on the Kustom website. Are you sure you have the right product name, or is this a legacy product? Also, do they make a passive version or only active?
Go to Musician's Friend and look up Kustom monitors. Passive is 69 bucks there.

zentman said:
mitch said:
zentman said:

They will need EQing,

Thanks again.
At ten feet my ears were hurting. They are loud. Not as loud as my 130 watt tube stack with EVs but I had it cranked and it is loud.

I often set volumes here and get to the gym sized hall and have to turn down. I then go back to my studio setting at the hall and think "Fuck that's loud".

Awesome....just placed my order. At that price, I just can't lose....I can always find a use for them or just sell 'em if and when I need to upgrade. I've never been a cranked stack kind of guy anyway (for some reason I value my hearing :roll: ), so this should be fine.

Thanks again....great find! I'll report back when I get some time with them.

mitch said:
Awesome....just placed my order. At that price, I just can't lose....I can always find a use for them or just sell 'em if and when I need to upgrade. I've never been a cranked stack kind of guy anyway (for some reason I value my hearing :roll: ), so this should be fine.

When you get them set up a reverse V on the global out. I run them on out two and send out one eq'd flat to the mains.

I have 1k down 1db, 2k down 2db, 4k down 4db, 8k doesn't matter as much.

zentman said:
mitch said:

When you get them set up a reverse V on the global out. I run them on out two and send out one eq'd flat to the mains.

Thanks for the eq tip. That really doesn't sound too extreme. You also rolled off some of the lows, right?

mitch said:
zentman said:
mitch said:

Thanks for the eq tip. That really doesn't sound too extreme. You also rolled off some of the lows, right?

Yea, the 60 was almost gone and the 120 was down 4 db. When you turn it down all the eq's go back up. It is mostly needed when you blast. Here is a low volume clip where everything is almost back to flat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GvlgT3myiI

Back
Top Bottom