New Ultra owner

Dday

Just got my Ultra (came with a Carvin DCM150) and just barely getting into it. I'm planning on using it for gigging, maybe w/out the Carvin. I'm currently using an UE IE (only one...had a benign tumor that took out my right ear), and have become completely frustrated with all the variables of a standard guitar rig. I'd like to keep the rig as small as possible, so I'm considering a powered monitor (QSC, FBT) as well as continuing with the IE. I'd be using it strictly to get a little stage sound and for controllable feedback/sustain, like what you could get with a good overdriven amp. Anyone have any experience with this vs. using a power amp and standard guitar cab?

Thanks-
Dday

I get some great controlled feedback effects from a FRFR studio monitor (I turn off one channel to do this so there's only one speaker active, otherwise it's hard to control the feedback notes). I've never tried a stage monitor. No reason you shouldn't be able to get some nice contolled feedback from a stage monitor that I can see. You just need something powerful enough so you can stand several feet away and have sufficient volume to feedback. I think I may have damaged the tweeter in my studio monitor though when doing this by using excessive volume levels. Bummer.

For what it's worth...

Stephen Cole

Thanks Stephen! I'm still digging around (when my 6 month-old lets me). I'm sure this will be an ongoing thing. One other option I'm considering is using my Naylor SD-60 2x12, using the SD for it's own sound (GREAT distorted tones!) along with the Axe for all other sounds and fx. Just an idea...haven't tried it yet, but I thought that might be a nice blend of tube and digital while still running direct to FOH and in-ear. More manual reading.....

Back
Top Bottom