New to the Fractal Family

farbarious

Greetings everyone!
This is technically my first Fractal Audio product, so basically a virgin. I just received my FM3 today and of course I'm excited and overwhelmed
at the same time. The sounds are spectacular right out of the gate but believe me it's a large rabbit hole to explore. I do have one question for
the experts. Is it possible to set the expression pedal to be a volume control globally or does that only apply to each patch individually? Looking forward
to experimenting. Thanks.

Mitch

Greetings everyone!
This is technically my first Fractal Audio product, so basically a virgin. I just received my FM3 today and of course I'm excited and overwhelmed
at the same time. The sounds are spectacular right out of the gate but believe me it's a large rabbit hole to explore. I do have one question for
the experts. Is it possible to set the expression pedal to be a volume control globally or does that only apply to each patch individually? Looking forward

Mitch

Welcome, Mitch. :)

You can assign an EXP Pedal to do just that. Super easy. It is how I have mine setup----
even if I end up riding the volume on my guitar more often than not.

From P. 11 of the Manual. The Manual is a great resource with more depth and info than
99% of us will ever utilize.

1665629197839.png
Enjoy!! :)

Last edited:
Congrats Mitch! You can learn a ton here. But you also need to read the manuals, watch videos etc. The volume pedal will work with the exp pedal when you assign the block to the pedal. But not globally. What you can do is save your block configured for the pedal and then you can drop it into any preset.

Edit: Thanks @la szum for clarifying. I don’t use a volume pedal so was unaware. I usually learn something here every day. So this would also be a cpu saving by not needing a volume pan block?

Last edited:
Welcome!! It can indeed be a rabbit hole... But it can also be your favorite 'set-it-and-forget-it' device. It can be as complicated or simple as you want it to be. For me, I really haven't touched my main preset in years (despite FW updates). I'll occasionally make new presets for new songs my cover band learns if I feel it could benefit from a new tone, but it's usually a copy-paste-tweak of an existing preset.

I'm capable of going down the rabbit hole, but I mainly hang out at the entrance where you can still see the light of day :)

Thanks guys for all your tips and manual references. I appreciate the help. I’m looking forward to creating my virtual rig. Cheers all😊

Sincerely,
Mitch

Congrats and welcome, Mitch. Just want to add that the manual is definitely the first place to look, but as others have mentioned the Wiki area has a wealth of info specific to Fractal, but also very good information on audio technology, etc.. it has been a big help for me. And of course the Forum is aways here.

Greetings everyone!

Mitch
Salutations!

Greetings everyone!

Mitch
Technically a Virgin? Make sure you wear a .. protector on your FM screen.

Back
Top Bottom