New Metal mix

Mix sounds pretty good man - like the tune too. One thing that stood out to me was that the kick sounds a little mechanical, particularly in the middle section (~0:33). Normally with rapid-succession hits a drummer will end up weighting the first hit a bit, and successive hits get a little bit softer. I've had some luck mimicking this with velocities that stagger on 16th & 32nd kicks - 120,90,110,80,100,70 or something like that. Also, it seems like your rhythm guitars defeat each other a bit when listening in mono. Perhaps a different cab or something on one of them might open that up a bit.

Like I said, mix sounds good and the tune is pretty brutal. I'd probably buy that CD.

Mix sounds pretty good man - like the tune too. One thing that stood out to me was that the kick sounds a little mechanical, particularly in the middle section (~0:33). Normally with rapid-succession hits a drummer will end up weighting the first hit a bit, and successive hits get a little bit softer. I've had some luck mimicking this with velocities that stagger on 16th & 32nd kicks - 120,90,110,80,100,70 or something like that. Also, it seems like your rhythm guitars defeat each other a bit when listening in mono. Perhaps a different cab or something on one of them might open that up a bit.

Like I said, mix sounds good and the tune is pretty brutal. I'd probably buy that CD.

Very helpful indeed, apart from getting the drums just right the only thing I want to focus on is getting the track louder without having it clip. The mix itself is pretty basic, just having the guitars around -6dB peak, and double tracked around -8 ish. As far as the rhythms defeating each other, would replacing the 4x12 and 4x12 technique with a 4x12 and 2x12 farfield work to an advantage?

As far as the rhythms defeating each other, would replacing the 4x12 and 4x12 technique with a 4x12 and 2x12 farfield work to an advantage?

Probably doesn't need to be anything that drastic - just changing to a different cab will probably be enough. One of the studios I work with keeps a few different 4x12s on hand just for this reason. Bogner, Mesa, Marshall, all with v30s. Even thought they're the same speakers the cabs sound just different enough that they layer really well. I might experiment with different cab flavors while monitoring the whole mix, both in stereo and in mono.

As far as the loudness stuff goes, I'm probably not the best to give advice since I don't personally follow that school. Have you tried some bus-level maximizer plugins? Maybe put one on the guitar group track and then one again on the main mix bus - not sure how that would work. I do know that a common trick to get the kick to come through a pushed mix is to side-chain a fast compressor (1176-esque) with a dry kick feed and apply it to a group track that has everything else on it. When you really push a mix that has complicated rhythmic ideas it's easy to lose definition - might alleviate that a bit.

Hope this helps...

Probably doesn't need to be anything that drastic - just changing to a different cab will probably be enough. One of the studios I work with keeps a few different 4x12s on hand just for this reason. Bogner, Mesa, Marshall, all with v30s. Even thought they're the same speakers the cabs sound just different enough that they layer really well. I might experiment with different cab flavors while monitoring the whole mix, both in stereo and in mono.

As far as the loudness stuff goes, I'm probably not the best to give advice since I don't personally follow that school. Have you tried some bus-level maximizer plugins? Maybe put one on the guitar group track and then one again on the main mix bus - not sure how that would work. I do know that a common trick to get the kick to come through a pushed mix is to side-chain a fast compressor (1176-esque) with a dry kick feed and apply it to a group track that has everything else on it. When you really push a mix that has complicated rhythmic ideas it's easy to lose definition - might alleviate that a bit.

Hope this helps...

I'll definitely go and see what I can find as far as the level maximizer. This has helped greatly :D

Back
Top Bottom