New Member - Need convincing!

Breenbear

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member and still haven't purchased an Axe FX II despite reading about it for months! Just wanted to ask if you think it would be a good purchase for me!

I am a professional guitarist in the UK - playing mostly for musicals either on tour or in London. Most of the time this requires a silent pit so the guitar would be going direct to the desk. Currently I have a Pod HD 500 which is ok but not amazing. This is where I am thinking the Axe would prove to be worthwhile. I would also be looking to add a Matrix power amp for other gigs where I can crank it. I have a couple of Mesa wide body 1x12 thiele cabs to run through - anybody have experience of what this may sound like? Also going to keep my Rocktron All Access to control Axe as it seems to be a decent pairing.

I would need to get rid of my current rack to help pay for this new set up. It is a Mesa triaxis/2:90 with TC G major for effects. I like the sound but the weight is a real issue and most of the time just sits in the corner not getting used! (anyone want to make me an offer?! :) )

Sorry for the long post! Just wanting some insight from all you experienced Axe users! Looking forward to contributing to this great forum!

Cheers, Breenbear

Take a week off work and read the posts on this forum going back the past 6 - 12 months.
All the convincing you need is right there.

I used to have an HD500, I no longer have. The difference in my opinion between the HD500 and the AXE FX II is night and day.

Just look at all the people, including players who could use anything who are now using the AXE FX II in some shape or form and I think it speaks for itself. For a pit situation it is perfect.

There is at least one user on the forum using a Matrix with Mesa Thiele cabs who has reported excellent results.

The Axe FX has redefined guitar amplification. I've gotten better as not only a guitarist, but a musician, finding my ear for sound since using it. It's made my $2400 mesa boogie obsolete (sits in a corner as a PRACTICE amp) and it can do anything with effects you would need. But yes just read through all the posts on this forum and use your ears especially and you'll see how special of a product it truly is

keep your hd500 and compare it with current and future recordings of the axe on this forum and elsewhere. you'll eventually convince yourself.

The AxeFX is NOT for everyone. Let's just get that out on the table right away. It has the steepest learning curve of any rackmount guitar processor, I'm just being honest. That being said, if you like to tweak and are okay with taking some time to explore the AxeFX and it's features before expecting amazing tones in minutes, then yes, I think it's perfect for you. I've done play work myself and although you don't need too much outside of the typical realm of guitar effects, the AxeFX has made my job much easier that way. Look at it this way, if you're doing Wicked or something then a POD will do you just fine, but say you need to do a play like We Will Rock You, Billy Elliot, Phantom of the Opera or Thriller, those are the kind of play that DEMAND a very specific type of guitar tone, and I guarantee you the AxeFX will nail ANY tone you could ever POSSIBLY want, with enough time and effort. These are plays that are working off of music with a very specific and recognizable guitar tone, so a POD, in my humble opinion, just isn't enough. The AxeFX on the other hand will deliver those tones perfectly.

If you've ever had to bring two guitars to pit work like I have, you know that plays often have electric and acoustic parts you need to play. The AxeFX has done some great acoustic emulation that, although not perfect, is more than enough to convince a crowd watching the play that you're playing an acoustic guitar. Others have done emulations of bagpipes, strings, synth sound and more. You will be much more marketable as a pit player that way if you can do more than just play guitar (and even though you can't, you can play the parts on guitar and make it sound like another instrument).

Be warned that it will take time to learn how the AxeFX works and how to get even the most basic useable tones out of it, but once you venture through that learning curve there are unlimited possibilities at your fingertips. For someone in your scenario yes, I think it is a perfect buy for you if A) You can handle the learning curve and B) You have the patience to tweak and learn instead of just plug in and go.

Last edited:
Well I was ultra skeptical of the highly praised performance of the Fractals ever since the Standard came out. I’ve been thru some of the preamps/modelers out there like the POD X3 Pro, Vox ToneLab SE, TC-Electronics G major and others. So a few months ago I stumbled across the Axe-Fx II in a test of a Guitar and Bass magazine and it got my curiosity again. I started reading up on every review I could find on the web, of which 99% were positive, I decided to go for it. Yeah that’s a lot of cash to fork over just to give this a try, but I haven’t looked back since. I come out of the hard core tube amp fraction and I also build custom hand wired tube amps, so needless to say expectations were high. I’ve only had my Axe Fx II for about 2 months now, with a firmware transition from 6.02 to 7.00 include and all I can say is that it’s a tone hunters paradise. I’ve already started parting with some of my equipment.
It really, really helps if you are technically inclined and have good knowledge of how a tube amp functions and interacts with your guitar and speakers. The sheer endless possibilities of the available parameter adjustments make it virtually impossible to not reach your tonal goals unless you just don’t have a clue. Unfortunately opinions are like ass holes and everyone’s got one, so there’s only one way to find out.

Last edited:
"Roy-al with cheese!"

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member and still haven't purchased an Axe FX II despite reading about it for months! Just wanted to ask if you think it would be a good purchase for me!

I am a professional guitarist in the UK - playing mostly for musicals either on tour or in London. Most of the time this requires a silent pit so the guitar would be going direct to the desk. Currently I have a Pod HD 500 which is ok but not amazing. This is where I am thinking the Axe would prove to be worthwhile. I would also be looking to add a Matrix power amp for other gigs where I can crank it. I have a couple of Mesa wide body 1x12 thiele cabs to run through - anybody have experience of what this may sound like? Also going to keep my Rocktron All Access to control Axe as it seems to be a decent pairing.

I would need to get rid of my current rack to help pay for this new set up. It is a Mesa triaxis/2:90 with TC G major for effects. I like the sound but the weight is a real issue and most of the time just sits in the corner not getting used! (anyone want to make me an offer?! :) )

Sorry for the long post! Just wanting some insight from all you experienced Axe users! Looking forward to contributing to this great forum!

Cheers, Breenbear

Breenbear,

I think it was a smart idea for you to join the Fractal Forum and get acclimated to the features, functions, terminology, strengths (many!), weaknesses (few!), etc. of the Axe-FX II. I did the exact same thing! In fact, I joined the Fractal Forum in 2009, and I remember initially just hearing audio & video clips that users were uploading/posting and being very impressed (even blown-away at times!) I think owning and really becoming a power-user of a unit like the Axe-FX II is a heck of a committment, and depending on how much time you are able to or are willing to invest, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want! I've never been a "factory-preset" sort of guy, so the "simple-route" was never an option for me - LOL!

Anyways, I think you are a perfect candidate to get a LOT out of the Axe-FX II. As Vincent Vega (John Travolta) says to Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) in Pulp Fiction - during the in-car banter about Amsterdam, Holland: "You'd dig it the most!" - LOL!

If you know (or know of) UK fusion-maestro Tom Quayle, talk to him about the Axe-FX II/Matrix GT-1000 combination! Tom's a monster-player/musician and a very recent (new) artist-user and he is blown away (and Tom has ALWAYS been a tube guy with a very discriminating ear for tone and playing dynamics!)

BTW, that scenario you cited about going direct in musicals/quiet-pits but then having situations when/where you can "crank-it-up" is perfectly suited to some of the amazing/flexible routing-options in the Axe-FX II. Also, as you had surmised, most of your existing gear (I suppose the Line-6 POD HD-500 could make an okay backup/emergency-rig...or see you on eBay - lol!) but yeah, your 1x12 cabs, MIDI controller, etc. should all "play nicely!"

Best of luck!

Bill

Last edited:
The AxeFX is NOT for everyone. Let's just get that out on the table right away. It has the steepest learning curve of any rackmount guitar processor, I'm just being honest. That being said, if you like to tweak and are okay with taking some time to explore the AxeFX and it's features before expecting amazing tones in minutes, then yes, I think it's perfect for you. I've done play work myself and although you don't need too much outside of the typical realm of guitar effects, the AxeFX has made my job much easier that way. Look at it this way, if you're doing Wicked or something then a POD will do you just fine, but say you need to do a play like We Will Rock You, Billy Elliot, Phantom of the Opera or Thriller, those are the kind of play that DEMAND a very specific type of guitar tone, and I guarantee you the AxeFX will nail ANY tone you could ever POSSIBLY want, with enough time and effort. These are plays that are working off of music with a very specific and recognizable guitar tone, so a POD, in my humble opinion, just isn't enough. The AxeFX on the other hand will deliver those tones perfectly.

If you've ever had to bring to guitars to pit work like I have, you know that plays often have electric and acoustic parts you need to play. The AxeFX has done some great acoustic emulation that, although not perfect, is more than enough to convince a crowd watching the play that you're playing an acoustic guitar. Others have done emulations of bagpipes, strings, synth sound and more. You will be much more marketable as a pit player that way if you can do more than just play guitar (and even though you can't, you can play the parts on guitar and make it sound like another instrument).

Be warned that it will take time to learn how the AxeFX works and how to get even the most basic useable tones out of it, but once you venture through that learning curve there are unlimited possibilities at your fingertips. For someone in your scenario yes, I think it is a perfect buy for you if A) You can handle the learning curve and B) You have the patience to tweak and learn instead of just plug in and go.

Hear Hear... BUT... also with FW7 easiest (I think) the most playable factory presets right out of the box. Standard presets, fender, marshalls, clean, dirty, high gains. I had the Ultra and now the II and with FW7 I deleted all my previous presets and started from scratch. Way faster than before to tweak in a good sound. (at least to me and my ears).
Also you have the POD500 now and the "philosophy" as a modeler is quite similar. a input---chain of effects----output. Only thing that AXE has way WAY (did I say way) more knobs than the POD500

for your musical gigs its a perfect setup and the added matrix amps and existing cabs when needed sounds perfect. I say, sell your stuff and go for it ;)

Firstly let me say thanks to all that have replied!

I have been through the forum, listened to sound clips and read reviews for months and obviously the majority of things I have heard/read sound very promising! I am now inclined to take the plunge and go for it! Will sell my rack stuff and just keep the POD HD as a back up. Wish me luck! Exciting times ahead...... :razz

You could keep the All Access for when you're "in the pits" :) The buttons are more silent than the MFC-101 (and have a nicer feel), but you'll buy it eventually ;)

Firstly let me say thanks to all that have replied!

I have been through the forum, listened to sound clips and read reviews for months and obviously the majority of things I have heard/read sound very promising! I am now inclined to take the plunge and go for it! Will sell my rack stuff and just keep the POD HD as a back up. Wish me luck! Exciting times ahead...... :razz

Good thinking! POD for backup!!

With my first axe I used the HD-500 as midiboard.

Other that that I agree with the rest. Keep it as a backup/ small gig/ practice thing. I didnt have any use for mine, but I still regret selling it.

Good luck with your descission

AAEN

If you cant get a great deal on a used one (which perhaps not is that likely to happen) go for a new one with full customer support and warranty

The Axe is 10x the POD in tone and tweakability.

You can get lost in the Axe FX menus and options.

If you want simple, are unwilling to learn the inner workings of a complex device, stay with the POD.

If you understand tube amps, what makes them sound different from one another and wish to explore such, go Axe.

The user presets are simply a start at point, not the destination.

It takes a year to really "get it" regarding the Axe FX, it is not instant gratification, even if you want it to be due to it's price relative to the other market options.

Back
Top Bottom