New member greetings... and willing to sell/trade fx8 for ax8

mesavox

Hi everyone, I'm a new guy, but long time fan. My name is Kevin Wale, and I'm guessing I'll run into a few peeps from various Dream Theater forums I've frequented over the years here for obvious reasons. LOL

My introduction comes with a hard lesson learned.

We have a few gigs coming up in March and I'm to the point where I really have little interest in dragging out rack, amp, pedal, etc. and I hope to use these smaller one off gigs as practice runs of getting used to using the AX8 when my main band starts back up later this year. As we all know, there is quite the waiting list for the AX8. So I'm tootling around ebay just looking at what is out there and low and behold I could swear I see one. I look at the price... yeah.. that's about what they are selling for. 5 minutes to end of auction.... oh my... um... this would save so much time... I'm on it....

As you've probably guessed by now... its the FX8 and a usual celebration of winning the desired auction, I'm wishing that other guy had more luck with his refresh rate.

The good news is... if I can't sell it quickly, I can still leave the rack at home and just use it with the amp but wow do I ever need to learn how to read. lol It feels so ridiculous to be so disappointed to get something so amazing. lol

If you're reading this and happen to be thinking the opposite, would rather go with an amp centric device and already have the AX8 from the first go around... I'd SOOOO LOVE to trade you... LOL But, that isn't the purpose here.

As an introduction I'll reveal a bit about how I've come to the Fractal Camp in light of the Boogie that will be saying home for a while.

Obviously, we probably all love our loud tempermental tube amps, but being in a band that plays, and often plays with other bands on the bill, I came to the conclusion that the Axe FX is going to fool 98% of all listeners when it comes to sounding, even if not perhaps exactly like a (insert brand name here), certainly in sounding like any given tube amp miced. As an audience member, I've often thought "hmm sounds like these guys use Boogies" and yet they had Engles or whatever. Its about sounding good, not about having to have a brand name no matter what else there may be out there that sounds as good, even if voiced ever so slightly differently.

I saw Dream Theater in Dallas during the ADTOE tour and I was sooooo impressed with the clarity of the delays and reverbs. I had seen the previous tour with the M3000s and the Fractal effects were, to my ears, drastically better... and better than pro is a big deal in my world. That was the day that I knew an Axe FX would be in my possession at some point if only for effects.

The sound clips I've heard over the years were clearly convincing that these things are fantastic tools to make music with. But, when a friend got one and I'm listening to his band live and didn't even realize he left his Diezel home... Ok yeah... I'm sold. LOL

The AX8 is the icing on the cake for me. I want one unit that at worst if I need a speaker to monitor, I can plug into a powered monitor or whatever and my whole rig be in my flight pedal case. Wow...finally here it is. Even if I have to sell an FX8 and wait for it to be shipping again first. LOL

Glad I finally got around to joining. I have a lot to learn.

hey, i know you :) i'm chrisallen from ye olde MP forum (also JP but not as frequent there).

there might be people out there who would sell/trade their ax8 for fx8, so definitely worth asking. i'd actually edit your post and put in the top line a summary "willing to trade fx8 for ax8" :) it's a bit hard to see that's what you're actually saying :)

welcome. FAS Amp modeling rules.

Good idea... This was really intended to be an introduction post.. I titled it rather oddly. I should indeed edit it.

Not many people frequent the JP form anymore it seems... an era gone bye. lol

Welcome to the group!

By way of suggestion, as a stop gap measure, you might grab a Tech 21 (SansAmp) Flyrig 5 and stick it in front of the FX8. I got one last year before my name came up for the AX8 (love it, btw) and it sounds surprisingly good... played whole gigs on it and it was better than "passable" in tone all night. Running into (or maybe in the loop of, not sure there) the FX8 should really up the Flyrig's already good game. A cheap way to make it until you can swap the F for the A. :)

You might have to add many hundreds of dollars to get someone to make that trade at this time. But the FX8 sounds great.

Thanks Rick! I'll research the flyrig for sure.
I was turned on to it by Scott Peterson (one of the mods here) and I think Larry Mitchell has also used one from time to time. Sounds good, literally fits in the strap pocket of my 513 case, kind of the ultimate tiny grab and go option (the AX8 won't fit in my guitar case) :)

Welcome to the fun Keven! On a temp rig I would also add the Atomic Amplifire to your list of standbys while you figure out how to undo your hasty buy :D . I played through one with a CLR last month and was really surprised at how well it sounded, plenty of youtube demos out there to give a listen.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I'll probably just take my head and 212 cab for now unless I can run into an AX8 soon. lol I think I'm signed up pretty early on the wait list, but I'm guessing it will still be a while.

Back
Top Bottom