New Lava Cable balanced cable: "The Fountain"?

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
hey I just noticed Lava Cables released a new balanced cable called "The Fountain" it sounds interesting has anyone tried one out?

Lava Cable - The Fountain

"The Fountain™ uses the purest available American-made oxygen-free copper in for use in audio cables for both the shield and its four 24 AWG conductors to achieve extremely low resistance and high conductivity – key to dynamic frequency response and efficient signal transfer. An outer diameter of .245” black high-grade PVC makes the Fountain™ very flexible and rugged. Featuring Abbatron’s new gold-plated Beryllium and Trillium alloy copper contact XLR plugs that provide lower resistance, increased conductivity and greater stiffness for better contact and insertion/extraction durability than standard plated brass XLR plugs, along with a designed capacitance of 37 pF per foot, the Fountain™ possesses an industry unique configuration of insulation, conductors, plugs and materials which make it a superior microphone cable for both studio and stage use. Let your signal really flow with the Fountain™ microphone cable! The bulk cable is made and assembled in the USA."

hey I just noticed Lava Cables released a new balanced cable called "The Fountain" it sounds interesting has anyone tried one out?

Lava Cable - The Fountain

"The Fountain™ uses the purest available American-made oxygen-free copper in for use in audio cables for both the shield and its four 24 AWG conductors to achieve extremely low resistance and high conductivity – key to dynamic frequency response and efficient signal transfer. An outer diameter of .245” black high-grade PVC makes the Fountain™ very flexible and rugged. Featuring Abbatron’s new gold-plated Beryllium and Trillium alloy copper contact XLR plugs that provide lower resistance, increased conductivity and greater stiffness for better contact and insertion/extraction durability than standard plated brass XLR plugs, along with a designed capacitance of 37 pF per foot, the Fountain™ possesses an industry unique configuration of insulation, conductors, plugs and materials which make it a superior microphone cable for both studio and stage use. Let your signal really flow with the Fountain™ microphone cable! The bulk cable is made and assembled in the USA."

So much horseshit in such a short product description. Microphones have low impedance. Cable capacitance doesn't really matter much, same as for speaker cables. At the same time their impedance is high enough (100-300 ohms) that cable resistance doesn't matter much either, so you can use a fairly crappy cable, and you'll still be fine. In other words, all this babbling about "signal flow" and "dynamic frequency response" is BS. And as far as connectors, Neutriks are the gold standard anyway, you can't do any better than that.

Also, neither I nor Google is aware of any metal or alloy called "Trillium". :lol

are there noticable difference from quad wires vs standard, I see a lot of talk about "star-quad"

are there noticable difference from quad wires vs standard, I see a lot of talk about "star-quad"

If you have very strong EMI sources near the cable, there might be difference. It carries fairly low signal levels after all. Star-quad cables have higher capacitance, however, but like I said, this doesn't matter. Even for a hundred foot cable, assuming 46pF/ft Canare cable and a 300ohm microphone impedance, the frequency of the resulting filter network works out to something like 115KHz. Not even dogs can hear that.

I believe that "Star quad" is a specific product name for a cable from Canare.

Rick O'Neil (world famous mastering engineer - Metallica, Madonna, Aerosmith, Sting, etc) sat down and did a formal test of these high end cables for Audio Technology magazine and concluded that all these "oxygen-free copper, blessed by the pope, etc" cables are fantastic for getting money out of suckers, but otherwise are a total scam.

Good quality cable (eg. Mogami, Canare), and good connectors (eg. Neutrik) are all you need. Getting clean AC power will do far more for your audio than any fancy cable.

Hey guys, no wait, seriously, guys ..... what would be the best cable for heavy metal?

This one, naturally

Heavymetalcable.jpg

Settle for nothing less
thumbsup.gif

Also, neither I nor Google is aware of any metal or alloy called "Trillium". :lol

that's because it's not a metal.. it's an SI unit..

a Trillium is bigger than a Zillion but smaller than a Squillium

I thought everyone knew this...

That's AWESUMZ! It looks to made from solid Trillium. If I had a cable like that, and Ronnie James Dio was still alive, the world would be our clam (the bearded OR non-bearded kind). We wouldn't be fussy.

with available lengths from 6" up to 2', I reckon these mic cables were in fact designed for Ronnie James Dio
and even he may struggle to "run about a bit" as he struts his funky stuff

Back
Top Bottom