New FM9 Etiquette??

GuitarEC

Stupid question (don't worry, I'll have more)...

I've noticed in a lot of pictures (and even YouTube videos) - people leaving the factory film on their FM9's footswitch LCDs (even if they have the protective lexan/plastic cover plates).

Is that a thing? Will I get expelled if I take mine off? Are you hearing the Black Helicopters too??

I never like the factory protection on any device ... I remove them immediately after first test.
Once there was a friend of my wife who complained about the bad photo qualitiy of her phone (pre-smartphone era)...
I've checked her phone an took a picture. And after removing the factory film of the camera lens, the photos weren't bad anymore :D

Last edited:
It's human nature to be wary of altering valuable things. Same for taking the tags off the mattress. It's yours, do what you want with it. I do suggest that shrink wrap and adhesive both cause all kinds of damage, especially to plastic. I remember when people left the shrink wrap on LP record sleeves and they tended to warp as a result.

It's good for resale I guess and a slick gimmick to put them back on when selling the unit. As in. look plastic thingies still on unit.
I have never left these things on any fractal gear I have owned. I understand why fractal puts them there but leaving them on-not me anyway!

I pulled my FM9 out of the box and plugged it in then turned it on. Scrolled through some presets and checked them out. I heard enough to know I was keeping it and peeled the screen protectors off. It happened that fast. I am not going to try to keep those things on there. You could technically put them back on if you really wanted to.

Guess I’m an odd man out again. I took them off the mini-screens, as there isn’t much chance of scratching those. I did leave it on the big screen, though, as there have been many comments of those scratching easily. It’s all but transparent there. I’ve had the one on my Axe Fx there since new, as I did on some previous ones. It never hurt anything and the screen underneath was pristine at sale time. I tend to upgrade whenever the new edition comes out (yes, mine are “all-turbo”), so keeping them in reasonably decent appearance is a plus when listing. Much easier to move one that hasn’t been “relic’ed.” While some buyers don’t care, most do, and no one has ever contacted me and said “I’d buy it, dude, but it looks too good” on any of my many sales.

You can surely take them off if you want, or leave them on if you want. It’s your piece of gear.

I peeled mine off. I peeled them off with my right hand starting in the bottom left in a counter clockwise motion to unlock the coriolis effect in the fm9. It’s in all my presets now. It never gets turned off.

Stupid question (don't worry, I'll have more)...

I've noticed in a lot of pictures (and even YouTube videos) - people leaving the factory film on their FM9's footswitch LCDs (even if they have the protective lexan/plastic cover plates).

Is that a thing? Will I get expelled if I take mine off? Are you hearing the Black Helicopters too??
All of the units come with protective covers over the parts that might get scratched during assembly. The units hate them because they impact the modeler’s street cred, and eventually will shed them like old scabs.

I take them off soon after getting the units because I don’t want them trying to cut me when they’re trying to look tough.

Back
Top Bottom